General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ss_4
(learned) Tue 30-Dec-14 10:23:12
Print Post

Changing ISP's at the end of minimum term

[link to this post]

(Apologises if this is in the wrong section, feel free to move it)

As part of the incentives Sky were offering to o2 customers last year, I moved over to Sky fibre and Sky talk. The contract is coming to an end now, towards the end of January (don't know exact date). I'm going to ring Sky today to give my notice to cancel and request my MAC code.

Looking around I like the look of the Unlimited BT Infinity 1 for £10pm deal but I plan to look at other providers as well.

1) To move to BT Infinity, plusnet, talktalk fibre etc, you require a MAC code, is this correct?

2) How long does switching take? I want to know what would be the best time to sign up to a new provider? Don't want to get hit by early termination charges. (I will find out the exact contract end date).

Thanks.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Dec-14 11:49:23
Print Post

Re: Changing ISP's at the end of minimum term

[re: ss_4] [link to this post]

Since you are on full LLU, you do not need to contact Sky at all. Just sign up with the new provider without a MAC. Migration takes about two weeks.

Oliver.
Standard User ss_4
(learned) Tue 30-Dec-14 13:37:00
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Thanks!

I guess I still need to ring up to give notice that I'm going to switch away, or is that not necessary if you don't need a MAC code?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Dec-14 13:49:53
Print Post

Not necessary. Sky automatically cancel the contract on migration day.

Oliver.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 31-Dec-14 09:37:20
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Correct, Sky get notified as the phone is moving and you should get a letter warning that this is about to happen, to ensure your voice line is not being slammed.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ss_4
(learned) Wed 31-Dec-14 13:49:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks, I haven't contacted Sky because it looks like I don't need to give notice.

If I sign up to BT infinity now, does anybody know if I can choose the switch over date when ordering online? I don't want it to switch over before the minimum term ends.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 31-Dec-14 15:52:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by ss_4:
Thanks, I haven't contacted Sky because it looks like I don't need to give notice.

That's correct. The only thing you have to do is request any credit on the account to be paid into your bank account, assuming you don't have Sky TV, because it's not automatic as far as I know. You do that after migration day.

Oliver.
  Print Thread

Jump to