General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User c0dec
(member) Tue 30-Dec-14 17:48:05
Print Post

Faster sync from extension?

[link to this post]

Hey,

Bit of a strange one, recently had FTTC enabled on my line, to which im making use of a RJ11 extension from the back of the master socket (using the filtered output). Using my Billion 8800NL its showing a Max Rate of 49mbit, however when plugging directly into the Mk3 BT Openreach master socket downstairs I only get a max rate of 45mbit. This doesn't bother me in the slightest as I would rather use the extension, I just thought it was a little strange thats all! Line is stable using the extension with minimal errors, averaging 8 ES/hour.

Does anyone know why this might be?

Cheers,
Dan
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Dec-14 23:19:04
Print Post

Re: Faster sync from extension?

[re: c0dec] [link to this post]

Max Rates don't really matter. They are just estimates. How do Actual Rates compare?

Could indicate faceplate is faulty.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Tue 30-Dec-14 23:26:01
Print Post

What speed do you get from the TEST socket within the Mk3 master socket

plusnet user

Edited by Apprentice (Tue 30-Dec-14 23:29:58)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 31-Dec-14 00:16:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by c0dec:
... recently had FTTC enabled on my line, to which im making use of a RJ11 extension from the back of the master socket (using the filtered output).
Pardon?

Do you mean the unfiltered output? There is no broadband signal on the filtered one.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Wed 31-Dec-14 09:18:44
Print Post

That's perfectly possible. When you are plugged into the master, then the extension is what's called a "bridged tap". VDSL signals continue to propagate down the extension and are then reflected back from the unterminated end. This causes some degradation of VDSL signals at the master socket.

However, if you perform your test from the master's test socket (which disconnects the extensions), then the results should be at least as good as from your extension. However, a bit of variability of connection rates will always be experienced (unless your line is good enough to sync at the rated max) as there are always slightly variations in the environment in terms of interference. Cross-talk, electromagnetic interference etc.

Incidentally, your VDSL extension is off the unfiltered connections, not the filtered one. The filtered connections are for voice circuits and are essentially a low-pass filter which prevents the phone from effectively "short circuiting" the VDSL frequencies. It also prevents the "bridged tap" issue referred to above as the VDSL frequencies essentially don't "see" the phone extensions.
  Print Thread

Jump to