General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User linkyyork
(newbie) Fri 02-Jan-15 12:00:19
Print Post

Fibre Update Query

[link to this post]

As you will see I am confused.
At present we have BT Broadband.
Both computers are upstairs and one is connected to the upstairs telephone socket and the other connects via the network.
We are considering up grading to fibre but are confused over the set up as we do not want wires everywhere.
As I understand it something has to be plugged in to the main telephone socket.
This is downstairs and if wiring is required from there to the computers upstairs it would be one hell of a wiring job as there are fitted carpets, doors and the staircase in the way.
Could someone explain in simple terms exactly what is required for installing fibre
and any suggestion based on our layout.
Thanks
JOhn
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 02-Jan-15 15:23:35
Print Post

Re: Fibre Update Query

[re: linkyyork] [link to this post]

The fibre based services can work with your existing extension and microfilter set-up but the speeds may be towards the low end of any speed range estimate given to you.

To get the highest speeds using a VDSL2 faceplate and plugging in modem at the master socket, or running a dedicated extension for it will give the best speeds and reliability.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User linkyyork
(newbie) Sat 03-Jan-15 18:41:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks very much for your very clear reply.
It could be that if we decide to go fibre then the installer may not find the extension as daunting as I think it might be.
If not there is the alternative you describe.
John

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dandnsmith
(experienced) Sun 04-Jan-15 10:36:24
Print Post

[re: linkyyork] [link to this post]

I don't know how lucky we were in our Openreach installer, but, in a recent change to fibre, he talked to us very constructively about where we wanted the new master socket. We had it installed the other side of the house, and looked after our local phone network ourselves (already using DECT phones).
The only drawback we found with our new arrangement was that my wife's DAB radio proved useless until I moved the DECT master several feet.

Derek
  Print Thread

Jump to