General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User GeekOfBroadband
(newbie) Sun 11-Jan-15 02:17:32
Print Post

All Cables grades....

[link to this post]

So is,

BT's main phone lines CW1308 along with all their extentions and dat extention kit?

The flat phone extention cables and DSL cable from the socket to the modem CW1311?

And what is FCC68? Is that just another name for the DSL cable
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Jan-15 14:25:03
Print Post

Re: All Cables grades....

[re: GeekOfBroadband] [link to this post]

CW1308 is twisted pair cable typically used for extensions and from the joint box with the outside cable to the master socket.

The others aren't twisted pair they are flat. CW1311 is four core and FCC-68 comes as 4, 6, or 8 core.

Information all directly found from google searches.
Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Sun 11-Jan-15 15:49:04
Print Post

I think FCC68 is a US defined standard (FCC - Federal Communications Commission). It's a flat cable intended for use with RJ45/RJ11 type connectors. As such, it's probably best avoided for VDSL although I suspect it won't do to much harm for a short connection between a socket and a modem. However, it ought to be avoided for any extension runs intended to carry broadband signals.

CW1308, whilst originally intended for voice, is fine for broadband, although cat 5/6 will be a little better, at least for long runs.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Sun 11-Jan-15 17:30:37
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TheEulerID:
I think FCC68 is a US defined standard (FCC - Federal Communications Commission). It's a flat cable intended for use with RJ45/RJ11 type connectors. As such, it's probably best avoided for VDSL although I suspect it won't do to much harm for a short connection between a socket and a modem. However, it ought to be avoided for any extension runs intended to carry broadband signals.

CW1308, whilst originally intended for voice, is fine for broadband, although cat 5/6 will be a little better, at least for long runs.

Cool thanks, yes what I have done is bought a cat6 DSL cable cut one end off and punchedit donw into the MK3 BT extention slots and plugged the ohter end into the modem so the cable is about 0.25M long
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 11-Jan-15 17:39:20
Print Post

How long before the connection fails? Multistrand into an IDC connector - not really recommended.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 11-Jan-15 17:47:24
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

What makes you think it's multistrand rather than solid copper?

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Sun 11-Jan-15 18:09:48
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Probably because it sounds like a patch cable as an RJ45 was cut off. Those tend to be multi-strand so they are flexible and less prone to internal breakage when being repeatedly manhandled.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 11-Jan-15 18:25:36
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

Funnily enough, the broadband socket is RJ45.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User Tacitus
(experienced) Sun 11-Jan-15 18:48:33
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
How long before the connection fails? Multistrand into an IDC connector - not really recommended.
True, but if you're only using a couple of the wires you could always tin them with a bit of silver solder prior to punching them down.
(newbie) Sun 11-Jan-15 19:12:31
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

The cable I got Is solid copper cat6, so its just a cat6 with one end of it RJ11 for the modem and the other was RJ45 for the combo RJ11/RJ45 MK3 socket until I cut that end off and punched it into the extention slots to see if It would improve a little because hardwiring it seems more likely to give a better connection
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to