General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Sun 11-Jan-15 23:11:03
Print Post

Swapping phone lines

[link to this post]

There are 2 phone lines in my house, one my parents, the second my own. I now have 4G Net access, so want to cancel my own phone line. Now my own line gives me a rock solid (2 months without any drops) 2mb connection, whereas my parents line only gives them 1mb that keeps dropping. Both lines are in separate names/accounts. How can I get BT to swap my parents line onto my line giving them a rock solid 2mb when I cancel my own? Surely just a case of swapping pairs at the exchange?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Jan-15 08:28:32
Print Post

Re: Swapping phone lines

[re: 8skellerns] [link to this post]

I doubt BT would swap the pairs.

Your better bet would be to continue your line and change the name/billing to your parents and ask BT to move the number over (if needed).
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Jan-15 18:32:58
Print Post

The first thing I'd be looking at is the comparative line stats for both, is there no a fair chance your parents line has extension wiring on it, whereas your line doesn't.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Mon 12-Jan-15 19:41:25
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I would think BT would move the master sockets for a fee if requested. A cheaper option might be to solve the problem in the house somehow, by use of Lan cabling, Wifi, home plugs or maybe even extension wiring.

Michael Chare
Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Mon 12-Jan-15 20:07:39
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Line stats are both the same, no extensions, both master sockets next to each other with cat 5 cables to the adsl port on both home hub 4's next to each other (moving them apart makes no difference) both lines run down 1 drop wire and travel 1.5 rural miles to the cabinet, then another 1.5 miles to the exchange. BT only guarantee 1mb BB here, so consider no fault on parents line even though its has a noise margin of 15db and mine has a noise margin of 6db.
Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Mon 12-Jan-15 20:09:09
Print Post

My line has no contract on it (why im cancelling) yet my parents have just agreed to a 12 month contract to keep BT Sport frown
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 12-Jan-15 21:03:35
Print Post

In which case the difference in noise margin explains the difference in speeds, finding a provider who will reset target noise margin would fix the slow line, presuming that the line is stable and DLM does not raise margin again over time.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Jan-15 10:09:04
Print Post

Given your later post MrS has the solution - your wire isn't any better just the noise margin on your parents is eating the speed. Swapping the wire wouldn't change anything.
Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Tue 13-Jan-15 20:03:42
Print Post

My parents line is unstable, had the snr reset once, but line kept dropping many times a day, until the snr hit 15 where it now only drops every day or 2. Had BT out who claim no fault found and put it down to cable saturation (80 broadband lines down a 100 pair armoured cable buried in the grass verge to my village)
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Tue 13-Jan-15 21:18:48
Print Post

There is no harm in asking BT if they would allow your parents to move their contract to your line, and if so what it would cost if anything. It is not very different from a house move.

Michael Chare
  Print Thread

Jump to