General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ltarrant
(newbie) Sat 17-Jan-15 13:56:38
Print Post

Installing Broadband Extension to Interstitial faceplate

[link to this post]

Hi,

My parents moved recently and had issues with their broadband so had a visit from a BT engineer who installed an OpenReach Interstitial faceplate and moved their router to the main NTE5 phone point. This wasn't an issue as they were gutting the house but they now want to router moved to a new location.

(See here - http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/ This is the type of Intersitial Face Plate they have fitted)

I have run them a cat5e cable through to where they want the router located and wired up the extension. However, I have not come across the OpenReach Interstitial faceplates before and couldn't get a sync on the new extension after wiring in to the inside the front faceplate on the NTE5 socket. After a bit of research I now realise the Interstitial faceplate is filtering the line so normal extensions do not require filters. However, there is 2 IDC connection points on the Interstitial faceplate which I understand can be used to wire in a broadband extension.

I have now fitted a normal phone module and a RJ11 jack module on the extension faceplate. As the cat5e cable has 8 wires (4 twisted pairs) I have connected up the extension phone module to the front plate on the NTE5 box. This now provides a filtered voice line to the extension. I now plan on using one of the unused pairs in the CAT5e cable to connect the RJ11 jack at the extension to the IDC connections on the interstitial faceplate. However, the IDC connections are not labelled so I am not sure how they should be connected to the RJ11 Jack module (i.e. which Pins).

Sorry war and peace here for a simple problem but thought I would give the background.

Just as a passing comment. I did temporally remove the Interstitial faceplate whilst doing the work and was amazed at the difference in sync speed with and without. Without the Interstitial faceplate without any extensions connected the best sync achieved was approx. 2.5mbps. With the plate refit the sync shot back up to 6mbps.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,

Luke
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 17-Jan-15 14:13:05
Print Post

Re: Installing Broadband Extension to Interstitial faceplate

[re: ltarrant] [link to this post]

The two pins (the ones indicated by the yellow arrow) are used to connect a twisted pair. Polarity doesn't matter.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 17-Jan-15 14:15:30
Print Post

Centre two pins on the RJ11 are what carry the signal.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ltarrant
(newbie) Sat 17-Jan-15 16:14:46
Print Post

Cheers for that. I guess if the polarity doesn't matter thats why they aren't labeled. Never realised that.

Thanks.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 17-Jan-15 16:30:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by ltarrant:
Just as a passing comment. I did temporally remove the Interstitial faceplate whilst doing the work and was amazed at the difference in sync speed with and without. Without the Interstitial faceplate without any extensions connected the best sync achieved was approx. 2.5mbps. With the plate refit the sync shot back up to 6mbps.
Was that using the test socket inside the master, or the external socket on the master normal faceplate?

With the faceplate removed, are you certain all extension are phone-dead? (Not just the ones currently in use).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
  Print Thread

Jump to