General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jonet
(newbie) Sun 18-Jan-15 19:40:53
Print Post

Provider and service

[link to this post]

Hi,
Hopefully someone could help me with this one. I am on cleehillstone exhange cabinet 5, currently awaiting FTTC to be enabled on the cabinet, although I am about 2km from cabinet so don't hold much hope of an improvement. Currently I get about 4 mbs download, it syncs at about 4.5mbs, from BT (on ADSL Max, I believe), but wanting a cheaper package have looked at talktalk which is LLU on my exchange. Will I get the same/similar download speed on this than I did with BT, i.e will it still use ADSL Max or will I suffer a drop in speed. When I signed up today with talktalk it said estimate was 3.4 mbs but not sure if this is expected sync etc.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 18-Jan-15 20:07:59
Print Post

Re: Provider and service

[re: jonet] [link to this post]

Set if router stats will give a better idea of probable that the sales estimate

Talktalk llu is adsl2+ so better upload but similiar downloads possible. On shorter lines higher downloads would be easier to predict

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jonet
(newbie) Sun 18-Jan-15 20:25:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for that, what would e a good wireless router to use on a long line, may be one that would work with FTTC if it does get enabled? Still using a Homehub3 at the moment and it seems to be very temperamental , will be getting a basic 2 LAN talktalk one soon, but I am sure there must be a better option.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Jan-15 21:36:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by jonet:
it said estimate was 3.4 mbs but not sure if this is expected sync etc.
ISPs & BTw always estimate on sync speed; they cannot be responsible for the vagaries of the Net affecting your throughput. But it is only an estimate. Best post your current router stats to get a more accurate idea.

Even so, as a ballpark, if you are getting 4.5 Meg on ADSL Max, you might get 4.7 Meg on ADSL2+ LLU from TT.

At that exchange, why aren't you on BTw WBC ADSL2+ anyway? It has it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User jonet
(newbie) Sun 18-Jan-15 21:51:47
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks for that, actually I think I am on ADSL2+, my mistake earlier.
My stats at the moment are below, but had to reset router earlier. This is usually around what I get...

Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 03:00:45
Downstream: 4.156 Mbps
Upstream: 448 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 7.6 dB / 18.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 46.8 dB / 28.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 19.4 dBm / 12.5 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 309 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Sun 18-Jan-15 22:01:31
Print Post

I'm puzzled. The 448K upload speed is what I'd expect to see on an ADSL service. It might have been coincidence, save that the upstream noise margin is 18dB. With a more typical 6dB noise margin, I'd expect to see something much closer to 1mbps.

It all sounds a bit odd to me. It might be worth checking out with the ISP.
Standard User jonet
(newbie) Sun 18-Jan-15 22:14:03
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

Given that I have signed up with talktalk I guess I will have to wait for a couple of weeks and see whether I get a better connection with them, maybe onto the adsl2+. I was not sure what I was on before. The other question I had was whether I would be better off getting another router, something like a billion 7800 or 8800. Do you think I should be getting a faster speed than currently? or is 4mbs the best I can hope for?
Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Sun 18-Jan-15 22:35:42
Print Post

Apologies, I thought you were already on TalkTalk. A misread on my part. I think you should get a modest improvement. If your domestic wiring is good, expect maybe 6-7Mbps down, and approaching 1Mbps up.

That would explain why the you have a 448Kbps upstream if you are currently on a BT Wholesale DSLAM as it's obviously ADSL.

I should say there is an alternative suggestion to it being ADSL. Sometimes BTW ADSL2+ can be capped to 448Kbps upstream for odd reasons.

Edited by TheEulerID (Sun 18-Jan-15 22:40:03)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Jan-15 22:38:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by TheEulerID:
That would explain why the you have a 448Kbps upstream if you are currently on a BT Wholesale DSLAM as it's obviously ADSL.

Yep, it also says "Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A", i.e. ADSL.

Oliver.
Standard User jonet
(newbie) Sun 18-Jan-15 22:50:07
Print Post

Thank you for that, at least I feel reassured that the switch won't make things any worse. The wiring from the overhead wire that joins my house was done with cat 5e cable inside to the master socket, it is a fair distance (about 20 metres) but I put it in place for the bt guy to connect up the master socket, which is the one with an adsl socket.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to