General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TiMeTraVeLeR
(member) Mon 19-Jan-15 11:33:01
Print Post

Is it worth moving from a 17ms ping adsl+2 to fibre, gaming?

[link to this post]

Hi guys as my title says i am on adsl+2 on a long line getting 6mb i am on fast path and have 17ms ping to 8.8.8.8 and bbc.co.uk via cmd using TT Llu.

I have been offered TT fibre and I am putting it off as I have read hundreds of threads on the TT forum all complain about bad latency high ping's and bad for gaming.

I play xbox one and 360, at the moment my heads telling me to stay put.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Jan-15 11:54:55
Print Post

Re: Is it worth moving from a 17ms ping adsl+2 to fibre, gam

[re: TiMeTraVeLeR] [link to this post]

Probably be slightly slower, but might be higher, might be more variable.

Looking at TalkTalk overall in our speed test the average latency for ADSL was 85ms in Q4 2014 and 48ms for FTTC (both for TalkTalk)

So on balance FTTC seems to be better, but if you have a good ADSL2+ line with low interleave or just fast path then might not be the case.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TiMeTraVeLeR
(member) Mon 19-Jan-15 12:06:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks MrSaffron there is a lot of if's, but's and maybes my main reason for BB is gaming and my ping is rock solid at 17ms with low to no jitter.

Do you know if there is a problem can you move back to LLU easily or are you stuck in the contract for fibre?

I have to set off for work now i might not get the chance to reply for a while.

Many thanks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Jan-15 12:10:00
Print Post

Unless there is a major problem then I doubt you would be able to move back from fibre during the minimum term without paying out the contract. A variable latency probably wouldn't count as a major problem for TT.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Jan-15 12:10:50
Print Post

I'm with Plusnet on FTTC and one persons latency means nothing really but SamKnows shows that until a month ago it was normally between 8 and 9.5 with short forays to 11/12. Since Jan 1 it has been 16/17 so it's not that anything is really fixed in stone.

If you are happy with all aspects of your current broadband connection what advantage is there in paying more for FTTC with no guarantee it will be better for your main use which seems to be gaming. When you are dissatisfied is the time to consider a change.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Jan-15 12:12:17
Print Post

Latency performance is just what it is, so very unlikely that Openreach would waive the 12 month contract, so very unlikely the ISP would too.

This is one of those until the modem has had time to settle down and the DLM systems seen the line you cannot say how much interleave or not ends up applied.

Of course if you FTTC speeds will be a lot higher you would gain from better downloads and uploads.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Jan-15 12:18:42
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

My latency occasionally flips to a similar higher level as yours has when interleaving turns on. Usually does that for about 6 weeks and then goes back to fastpath and latency comes back down again. However, the worst on FTTC on my connection is generally better than it was on ADSL2+ so even with interleaving I am still better off. But, TT may have dedicated backhaul on FTTC and it could be oversubscribed - if so that would affect latency. However, that in itself is a moving feast (as many PlusNet users are reporting at present).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Jan-15 12:40:09
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

Kinda interesting we have seen a rise in latency in last month or two for lots of tests

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Jan-15 12:44:29
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thanks for the insight. I don't have a hacked modem so can't see whether or not it is interleave or fastpath. I have seen other issues since Jan 1 such as more variable and very slightly download speeds than before but I don't think that was line issues as rebooting and getting a different gateway has improved but not completely fixed that. I think Plusnet are playing around with something - probably their shaping.
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Mon 19-Jan-15 14:21:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by TiMeTraVeLeR:
Thanks MrSaffron there is a lot of if's, but's and maybes my main reason for BB is gaming and my ping is rock solid at 17ms with low to no jitter.

Do you know if there is a problem can you move back to LLU easily or are you stuck in the contract for fibre?

I have to set off for work now i might not get the chance to reply for a while.

Many thanks.

If you don't need the extra bandwidth and your connection is good (which for talk talk in my experience it is) then I wouldn't move,

Also if you did say trial the FTTC and they did let you back onto ADSL, theres no guarantee the line would be exactly the same and it could end up with issues.

My only other suggestion would be to see what neighbours get with their FTTC but again, this doesn't mean yours will be the same!

@networkmclaren - Perfection Junkie
VirginMedia 152/12 OVERUTILIZED - BQM - SpeedTest
Plusnet 3599/864 - BQM - SpeedTest
FTTC Coming Soon!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to