General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User NickC
(learned) Mon 19-Jan-15 21:22:12
Print Post

Line keeps dropping, noisy line?

[link to this post]

My ADSL line has started dropping out every few minutes or so. I have changed the filter, tried a different router (albeit also a Zyxel), changed the cable between the router and the filter but still no better.

I have noticed that during a quiet line test I can hear interference coming from the router, turn the router off and line generally goes quiet, with router on I can hear some background interference as it tries to connect. But I have tried a different router and the same still happens.

Is this a line fault or a fault with my equipment, I can't see how two routers could go wrong at the same time.

Edit:
Line stats from router:
noise margin upstream: 5 to 6 db
output power downstream: 19 db
attenuation upstream: 22 db

noise margin downstream: -4 to 9 db
output power upstream: 12 db
attenuation downstream: 39 to 41 db

Edited by NickC (Mon 19-Jan-15 21:57:10)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Jan-15 21:44:45
Print Post

Re: Line keeps dropping, noisy line?

[re: NickC] [link to this post]

Probably a high resistance fault, does connection drop when someone rings you?

Router stats from when things were good and now bad will help.

Cold weather shrinks copper, and this may allow damp to enter a joint somewhere, or wind/tree damage has not helped.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User NickC
(learned) Mon 19-Jan-15 22:17:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It first started during the high winds a few weeks ago. Would it help to put an ohm-meter on the line to get a reading?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Jan-15 22:59:54
Print Post

No

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User NickC
(learned) Tue 20-Jan-15 11:41:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

So is there any way I can prove this is a line fault? I am concerned about booking a BT engineer because of their threat to charge £150 if no fault can be proved.

My concern is because there is no noise on the line until my ADSL router tries to connect, then the line becomes noisy.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 20-Jan-15 12:36:13
Print Post

When you changed the router, did you also change the power supply to it? (Mains plug and cable).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.5/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Jan-15 13:35:13
Print Post

So is there any way I can prove this is a line fault? I am concerned about booking a BT engineer because of their threat to charge £150 if no fault can be proved.

I will doubtless be shouted down by many on here, but to my mind the way forward is to chase this through your broadband ISP. You have more of a chance of getting and engineer who understands that your fault is due to an HR dis than if you chase this as a voice fault. The latter will just get you a CDTA task built, and doubtless charges raised.

Standard User flippery
(committed) Tue 20-Jan-15 19:36:27
Print Post

Assume you have connected router only to master socket, socket with faceplate off.
If BT line. You could check the line on BT.com website (help/ track report line fault). May show up if obvious fault.
Standard User NickC
(learned) Wed 21-Jan-15 15:10:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well in the end I bit the bullet and took the risk on calling out an Openreach Engineer.

He spent three hours this morning checking out various issues from the house back to the exchange. He did find some loose connections among other faults. Wasn't completely happy with the exchange equipment so has left a note on file to 'lift and shift' as he called it if there is any further fault on the line.

Also replaced my original ADSL Nation Professional filter with a new Openreach MK3 just for good luck.

Line is now totally quite on the silent line test at all times.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 21-Jan-15 16:40:10
Print Post

Excellent news.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.2/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
  Print Thread

Jump to