General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Newrouter
(newbie) Thu 22-Jan-15 13:17:50
Print Post

Getting wireless router up and running

[link to this post]

Hi, I currently have Post Office broadband via a wired connection (I know old fashioned and probably not the best choice!) but it works just fine. Anyway, I just acquired a wireless router (Linksys WRT54G) and have been trying to get it up and running. I have tried various settings unsuccessfully - does anyone have experience of this or similar routers or know of a helpful website? I tried to speak to my ISP but all they could offer was my domain address and password, no other words of wisom! Any suggestions re settings etc gratefully received.
Cheers
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 22-Jan-15 13:41:38
Print Post

Re: Getting wireless router up and running

[re: Newrouter] [link to this post]

The Linksys WRT54G is a wireless router and does not include an ADSL modem, so you need to continue to use the Post Office router and hook one of its Ethernet ports to a LAN port on the Linksys after you have configured the WRT as a wireless access point.

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/wap/configuring-wap.html shows what needs doing, in your case the Post Office router is the equivalent of the Fritzbox 7390 and the Netgear router is the Linksys router.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 22-Jan-15 15:38:23
Print Post

Re: Getting wireless router up and running

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
... the Post Office router is the equivalent of the Fritzbox 7390 and the Netgear router is the Linksys router.
Now you sound like Murray Walker smile.
The lead car is unique, except for the one behind it which is identical.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.2/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to