General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 22-Jan-15 23:11:46
Print Post

Three and O2 merger

[link to this post]

Looks like 3 and O2 will be one
Hong Kong tycoon Li Ka-shing is to create a new leader in Britain’s mobile phone industry after agreeing to buy O2 for more than £10bn.

Telefonica, the owner of O2, will announce a merger with Mr Li's Hutchison Whampoa, which runs Three, on Friday morning, The Telegraph understands.

The deal will create Britain’s biggest mobile phone company with 32m customers, overtaking EE and Vodafone, with 27m and 20m respectively.

Telefonica and Hutchison Whampoa have held talks since BT ended discussions to buy O2 last month in order to make a £12.5bn move for EE.

It is believed that Telefonica and Hutchison Whampoa want to present their deal to competition authorities in Brussels at the same time as BT unveils its potential purchase in a bid to ease fears of a reduction in the number of UK operators. This would allow them to argue that BT is shaking up the industry and would ease fears of a reduction in the number of UK operators.

European authorities are likely to approve the O2 sale.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User epyon
(experienced) Thu 22-Jan-15 23:14:41
Print Post

Re: Three and O2 merger

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

So AYCE on o2? laugh

SKY FTTC - 40/10
My Ping
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 22-Jan-15 23:33:30
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

I've already got it tongue.

300 minutes to mobile networks (hardly use that); unlimited to landlines (used frequently) except premium charged ones; unlimited texts except for 5-digit numbered ones; unlimited data. Less than £17pm.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.2/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mirage4802
(newbie) Fri 23-Jan-15 00:13:17
Print Post

http://www.o2online.ie/o2/three-and-o2/

Don't know if their Irish websites have been updated as part of this or it's some other deal.

Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra
Speedtest.net result: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3689523486

Edited by mirage4802 (Fri 23-Jan-15 00:13:57)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 23-Jan-15 00:19:21
Print Post

[re: mirage4802] [link to this post]

That's O2 Ireland's website. (Look in "About O2" at the bottom). Three bought them in 2013/14.
On 24 June 2013, it was announced that Hutchison Whampoa would acquire Telefónica's Irish mobile operations for €780 million, to be merged into 3 Ireland upon completion of the deal. The deal was cleared by the EU in June 2014. On 15 July 2014, the acquisition was fully completed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.2/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 23-Jan-15 00:21:02)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 23-Jan-15 00:24:28
Print Post

[re: mirage4802] [link to this post]

O2 in Ireland was purchased by Hutchison Whampoa back in 2013 with the deal finally completing after EU approval in mid 2014. It is nothing to do with the UK O2 being sold.

BT set up an Irish mobile operator which was separated from BT within the main O2. O2 was purchased by Telefonica who then separated and sold of Ireland.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 23-Jan-15 09:00:44
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Also wonder if 3 will continue allowing Giffgaff to operate on the network?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 23-Jan-15 09:11:59
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

If they purchase O2 then I would guess GiffGaff would be included in that deal.

Why would Telefonica want to retain a small MVNO?

M H C

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 23-Jan-15 09:37:27
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

But as Giffgaff is community run and an offshoot I do wonder if 3 would continue running it or whether it would be shut down.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 23-Jan-15 13:31:20
Print Post

They are confident that the takeover will not be blocked in the UK or EU or they would not be spending millions on the approach, due diligence, negotiations &c.

With that, it is being seen that BT will have an easy regulatory ride with their EE purchase especially as they do not currently have a mobile network. And BT shares are on the up again today - so far by 2.4%.

M H C

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to