General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User G0AOZ
(member) Mon 26-Jan-15 16:47:22
Print Post

Location of my street cabinet?

[link to this post]

The BT Broadband checker gives me the stats for my phone line connection and also the cabinet number. I take it this cabinet is actually within the local exchange. Is there a map which shows where the STREET cabinets are located in my area? I'm assuming that when fibre is rolled out in the village here, reputedly 4th qtr 2015, it'll be fibre to the street cabinet, then either fibre or copper wire to the house. Is that correct?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 26-Jan-15 17:03:24
Print Post

Re: Location of my street cabinet?

[re: G0AOZ] [link to this post]

As you have a cabinet number it will be located somewhere in the vicinity of your house. It could be a mile or two away. To my knowledge there are no publicly available maps showing the location of the cabinets - BT do hive internal documents. The best way is to see if you can trace your line from pole to pole until it goes underground and then make a guess at the route. The cabinet will have the number painted on it.

Yes, with the fibre roll out there will be fibre to a second cabinet housing the DSLAM, this is normally within a few metres of the existing cabinet although it can be up to 100 metres away. A tie cable links the cabinet and feeds the VDSL signal onto your line which retains the original route to your house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 26-Jan-15 17:37:37
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

That's if it's FTTC. FTTP is also specified by PCP cabinet number but doesn't touch one, not have a fibre cabinet.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.2/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 26-Jan-15 17:44:17
Print Post

If you give the exchange and cabinet number, maybe someone can tell you where it is.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User G0AOZ
(member) Mon 26-Jan-15 20:55:57
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks for the responses.

The exchange is SMLW Oxfordshire (Longworth). It says my telephone number on the exchange is served by Cabinet 5. I assumed that this cabinet would be within the actual exchange building - is that correct or not?

I see no BT street cabinets in the immediate vicinity. Internet images suggest BT street cabinets are likely to be either green or black. Cables here are predominantly underground, and I'm aware of several BT inspection covers in the verges and on the pavements. My best gestimate for distance from the exchange to my house is about 2.5Km.

Just read about EO lines, i.e. NOT going to a street cabinet. How do I tell if I'm on an EO line?
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Jan-15 21:50:43
Print Post

How do I tell if I'm on an EO line?
Because earlier in your post you said that you were on cabinet 5. EO lines have no cabinet between the end user and the exchange. It could of course be that you were on an EO line and that BT have or are in the process of moving the EO lines to a new cabinet 5 however if cab 5 is in close proximity to the exchange FTTC won't help you much as VDSL usually gives a worse connection at 2.5Km than ADSL.
Standard User sebastionp
(newbie) Mon 26-Jan-15 21:55:12
Print Post

Hi

Try this:

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=1...

You can look-up by your postcode or phone number or look-up locality (use Longworth). You can play around and get all the details for the cabinets, distances and % of homes on each postcode that will be upgraded to fttc for each cab etc.

Andy
Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Mon 26-Jan-15 21:55:36
Print Post

No, the cabinet will not be in an exchange. According to a comment on the linked page

"5 is on Draycott Road, next to the new housing development."

I don't know if that means anything to you. I couldn't find it on Streetview. It should be a modest-sized, rather drab green cabinet.

http://kbsbroadband.org.uk/kbs-broadband-future/

*** edit ***

Just an update to say I found it. The cabinet is a rather tatty looking affair, and on Streetview it's backing onto a hedgerow and can be found near the northern end of Draycott Road on the western side. I'm assuming from the comment I found that there's some new housing there now, and Streetview is out of date.

Edited by TheEulerID (Mon 26-Jan-15 22:08:51)

Standard User cymru123
(newbie) Mon 26-Jan-15 22:17:22
Print Post

Also isn't that exchange area on the way to get FTTP from Gigaclear?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 26-Jan-15 22:31:15
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.683092,-1.423451,3...

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to