General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Rich44
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Jan-15 20:09:09
Print Post

Fritz box 7490

[link to this post]

Bought one of these recently and thought I'd outline my thoughts:

Finally got fttc in our little village and being rather unimpressed with the Home Hub 5 on activation decided to have a mooch about to replace it.

My criteria were easy access to line stats, AC wireless and preferably gigabit networking. After looking at the more affordable solutions I decided to go for the Fritz Box 7490. Ordered from Amazon (who sent our an obvious second hand unit but that's another story).

Quickly set it up and am blown away by the features. I really like the way it replaces other hardware like it replaces my cordless phone base station and the dect handset then pairs with the router, so one less psu plugged in!

Once you're using the landline through the 7490 it acts as as pabx, other handsets show as extensions and of course it can act as an answerphone too.

There are several Fritz box apps one allows you to call or answer your landline via your mobile phone via your home wifi again they act as extensions too. Once setup you can then blacklist phone numbers so not only will the phone not ring but they aren't even afforded the chance to leave a message - very handy if you're getting nuisance calls and don't want to change the number.

There's also lots of home automation stuff included in the interface and you can buy add ons from AVM to give you remote control over various things.

You can access your router over the Internet easily too.

The app allows you to instantly checkup who's called and any answerphone messages from anywhere and you can also set up push notification for these.

On top of this it can act as a NAS using USB ports and print server too.

Wireless range is excellent even on AC although obviously weaker than 24Ghz.

£241 is obviously a lot to lay out on a "consumer" grade appliance but what this thing can do is amazing.

Apologies if this is in the wrong place and apologies if this has wasted 5 minutes of your life but hope this will be helpful to someone who might be undecided about buying one.

I have nothing to do with the manufacturer nor anyone selling them fwiw

Edited by Rich44 (Mon 26-Jan-15 20:12:42)

Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Jan-15 20:57:12
Print Post

Re: Fritz box 7490

[re: Rich44] [link to this post]

Thank you for sharing. Was thinking about one, but on sky fttc and no confirmation that it works that i can find...
looks like for you its happy days smile

IanD
Standard User Rich44
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Jan-15 21:40:47
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

Yeah, takes a lot to impress me tech wise but it really is very impressive not using the nas side of things because I've got an HP N40L but good to have.

Line stats are really good reports on Vectoring and G.INP too (off sadly)

Imho given the advanced telephony stuff I actually think for £240 is a bit of a bargain.

You can use it as a pure router by plugging ethernet cable from a fttc modem into it instead of using the vdsl modem.

Could see one of these being incredible value for an SME too. Be interesting to see if anyone gets one working on Sky.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Rich44
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Jan-15 14:24:17
Print Post

[re: Rich44] [link to this post]

Just to add since adding 0844 & 0845 std's as wildcards to the call handling on the fritzbox I've not had a single nuisance call since, brilliant result!

I have no desire to hear from any organisation using those numbers and I can still call them should I need to.

So there you go call handling working as it should.
  Print Thread

Jump to