General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User woakesd
(newbie) Thu 29-Jan-15 14:42:36
Print Post

What is "Interleaved Path FEC Correction"

[link to this post]

I'm with EE on a recently connected ADSL line.

The counts for Interleaved Path FEC Correction on the router are 33205 (far end) and 4329 (near end) after being connected for just over 2 hours.

I had the downstream noise margin reset to 6dB at that time.

Mostly the connection works well apart for a VPN connection using IPSEC which drops 50% of packets when pinging servers on the far side.

I can ping the VPN ip address with no packet loss.

So I'm wondering if the "Interleaved Path FEC Correction" is a cause for concern.

All the other error counts are very low (0, 1 or 2).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Jan-15 15:19:12
Print Post

Re: What is "Interleaved Path FEC Correction"

[re: woakesd] [link to this post]

If normal pings when not using VPN are not dropping then the FEC issue is not a problem.

FEC is error correction across the ADSL line and done at a low level that should not affect the VPN traffic, if anything should help to keep it reliable

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User woakesd
(newbie) Thu 29-Jan-15 15:43:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks,

Is it of concern that the error correction is happening at what looks like a very regular basis?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Jan-15 15:52:01
Print Post

If in the millions per few hours then yes and the solution is to slow the line down a little more if that is the case.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 29-Jan-15 15:55:19
Print Post

A few hundred thousand FECs a day is quite common, and nothing to worry about unless the line is normally very low on errors.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.2/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
  Print Thread

Jump to