General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Computerman142
(member) Thu 29-Jan-15 21:35:24
Print Post

Question about a possible engineer visit?

[link to this post]

Hi

I have been having issues with my fibre speed and now being put on a banding profile which reduced by 1.5- 2mbps daily 18000 yesterday 16450 today and probably 15000 tomorrow.

I have spoke to TalkTalk and they are going to call back tomorrow after I spoke to them through live chat.

Now my question is, as I moved my master socket when they came to install fibre originally they were not bothered, but now as there is a hole on the top (which is the bit screwed to wall) with a Ethernet cable coming out of it as I didn't want to drill holes in the wall are they likely to charge me assuming the engineer is bothered?

Thanks

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2859828308
My best ever result- upload is more than it should be. but more the better. Also ping is a bit high

MYSEL Cabinet 6

TalkTalk 40/2 FTTC estimated 40/2 - Currently getting 16.5Mbps/2Mbps on an interleaved and banded FTTC line, was 26.5Mbps using new super router.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Jan-15 21:39:53
Print Post

Re: Question about a possible engineer visit?

[re: Computerman142] [link to this post]

Probably fine if what you did has zero impact on the broadband performance

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Thu 29-Jan-15 21:42:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks, its just a run of Ethernet cable from back of router to upstairs via the outside wall.

My best ever result- upload is more than it should be. but more the better. Also ping is a bit high

MYSEL Cabinet 6

TalkTalk 40/2 FTTC estimated 40/2 - Currently getting 16.5Mbps/2Mbps on an interleaved and banded FTTC line, was 26.5Mbps using new super router.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Jan-15 08:20:32
Print Post

If it is Ethernet from back of router why is it going through the master socket box? Is that just because you are using the hole in the wall behind the master socket to take the cable outside?
(member) Fri 30-Jan-15 10:03:00
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Yes I used a old unused hole behind the master socket because I didnt want to drill new holes in the wall and make look horrible.

MYSEL Cabinet 6

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Jan-15 10:23:37
Print Post

Then agree with others, shouldn't be of any concern to any remotely knowledgeable engineer.
(member) Fri 30-Jan-15 11:06:24
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

TalkTalk have just called they are going to send one of there BrightSpark engineers, this wont be an issue to them either should it?

MYSEL Cabinet 6

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 30-Jan-15 11:31:15
Print Post

Should not be, but they can only fiddle with the extension wiring and test from the test socket.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to