General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rob54
(committed) Sat 31-Jan-15 16:38:44
Print Post

Two devices on one router port

[link to this post]

I have my PC connected to the router via an Ethernet cable and my old printer connected using USB. I am thinking about getting a printer that can connect also via Ethernet. Obviously I can connect the printer to the PC with a USB cable like now and I could connect wirelessly as long as that is reliable enough. But my question is if I use a switch or some sort of doubler (if such a device exist) will this cause a conflict. I'm not sure if each device wants or needs its own IP or if it is the port that gets the new IP.
Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------
WIndows 7 SP1, Plusnet Unlimited ADSL (ex-o2 Broadband Standard), Norton Internet Security (came as trial with new PC),
Website & email hosting & domain name provider - www.tsohost.co.uk
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 31-Jan-15 16:57:17
Print Post

Re: Two devices on one router port

[re: rob54] [link to this post]

A small 4 port switch is all you need. Each device gets it's own IP and traffic to that is directed through the switch to the correct port.

Which router do you have? I would be surprised if it is a modern one with just a single port?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Sat 31-Jan-15 16:57:44
Print Post

you can use a switch http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/277-79625... from about £6 from amazon.

It is standard piece of networking kit and your new printer will receive its own IP address.

Ian

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rob54
(committed) Sat 31-Jan-15 17:48:00
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Router is the Plusnet supplied Thomson TG582n so 4 ports. I'm using two presently, one to the PC and another to a Humax PVR. Phone also connects wirelessly.

Thank you both MHC and ian007jen.

WIndows 7 SP1, Plusnet Unlimited ADSL (ex-o2 Broadband Standard), Norton Internet Security (came as trial with new PC),
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 31-Jan-15 18:18:48
Print Post

Don't forget that all you are doing is chaining switches, which is no big deal. The Ethernet ports of routers are on the inbuilt switch smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.2/15.3Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User bowdon
(member) Sun 01-Feb-15 18:13:21
Print Post

A switch is good. Just plug an ethernet cable in to the switch from the router, then all the other ethernet ports on the switch are available to use.

You'll need a place to plug in the switch though for power. But apart from that they are a great device. I use netgears switches.

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2
Standard User rob54
(committed) Sun 01-Feb-15 22:36:26
Print Post

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bowdon:
A switch is good. Just plug an ethernet cable in to the switch from the router, then all the other ethernet ports on the switch are available to use.

You'll need a place to plug in the switch though for power. But apart from that they are a great device. I use netgears switches.

Ah was wondering if they need power or not. I only have a single socket for the PC with everything plugging into a Belkin 6 way Surge adaptor. So presumably neither the PC or printer will be available to other devices such as a phone if the PC is off therefore mains to PC, screen, printer, sound and ethernet switch (if I get one). But then I could just turn on the mains switch. Unless I can use the printer wireless for that purpose (in which case maybe I don't need an ethernet switch). Hmm

Standard User bowdon
(member) Mon 02-Feb-15 01:15:54
Print Post

Yea, its a dilemma.. hmm I guess you could buy a bigger surge protector plug. I have a 10 plug one here.

I did a quick look around for self powered switches but couldnt find any.

Standard User rob54
(committed) Mon 02-Feb-15 01:29:55
Print Post

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bowdon:
Yea, its a dilemma.. hmm I guess you could buy a bigger surge protector plug. I have a 10 plug one here.

I did a quick look around for self powered switches but couldnt find any.

Might this do it? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ethernet-Network-Splitter-Ec...

EDIT: No, needs to be this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Splitter-Y-distributor-Ether... so a plug can enter it and there be two sockets - I think!

Edited by rob54 (Mon 02-Feb-15 01:33:09)

Standard User bowdon
(member) Mon 02-Feb-15 01:48:14
Print Post

I'm not sure if it would work. Experience says no. Reading some of the reviews on those 2 products it seems that only one device can be active on the ethernet line at once. Both devices can't be On together. I'm thinking its something to do with ip allocation, as the router would probably only see 1 device.. even though there is 2.

Something like that would be ok if you had a games console and a dvd player that you wanted both to be connected to the router. Though in that case you'd have to always turn one of the devices off in order for the other to work.

I think the solution is to buy a bigger belkin surge protector plug... or I'm not sure if this would still work, but maybe a dual plug adaptar. One that can plug 2 plugs in to one socket. They are probably cheaper than buying a big belkin protector.

Something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/EAGLE-Block-Socket-Splitter-... (btw, I'm not endorsing that particular plug. Just using it as an example so you know what I'm talking about).

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to