General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User HTTP404
(regular) Sun 08-Feb-15 15:04:09
Print Post

DNS Cache - Home Routers.

[link to this post]

May well be a silly question, but do home routers as supplied by BT, TalkTalk etc. have dns caching in built.

I've seen that home routers can act as DNS servers, but am having problems finding any spec that might confirm it.

Edited by HTTP404 (Sun 08-Feb-15 15:05:25)

Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Feb-15 09:27:43
Print Post

Re: DNS Cache - Home Routers.

[re: HTTP404] [link to this post]

Some routers can hold a small DNS cache but you would have to read the full spec of each router to find out.
Are you just asking or are you having a particular issue?

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User HTTP404
(regular) Tue 10-Feb-15 11:19:42
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

Thanks for the response - no particular issue, just trying to get my head round how it all works.

I have a typically cheap and nasty ISP supplied router, so was having trouble accepting that it could be intelligent enough to act as a DNS server.

The product specs that I could find said absolutely nothing about DNS cache - only where I could enter the address of the DNS servers (Google etc.).

Then when I happened to run Speccy on my pc, the network detail page listed my router's address as the preferred DNS server.

So I was confused.

Edited by HTTP404 (Tue 10-Feb-15 11:20:52)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Feb-15 11:39:44
Print Post

Your PC will point to the router and the router then passes on requests to the external DNS. Even if the router does caching this is the way it would work for any addresses that haven't been cached. DNS entries also tend to have a relatively short lifespan so even if it is cached it will have to go and check again to see if it has changed periodically.
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Feb-15 11:40:19
Print Post

Ah, OK that's easy. Almost al routers will act as (in effect) a DNS forwarder, so when your router issues a DHCP (gives your machine details of IP gateway etc) it will allocate an IP address to each machine along with the correct netmask, and gateway (gateway will be your routers IP address) some routers will then either allocate the DNS servers as your ISP's or in most cases it will give your machine the routers IP address to act as DNS forwarder.
Your router will send the DNS request to the router, the router will then forward the DNS request to what servers it has.

Does that make a bit more sense?

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
  Print Thread

Jump to