General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Thu 12-Feb-15 12:49:52
Print Post

What are these Cabinets?

[link to this post]

Thought I would take some pictures of some old cabinets while I was coming home from a medical appointment.

This cabinet has been there I think for as long as we have lived here.
It's in front of a school if that helps, sorry for the blurry picture, had to take it quick due to traffic.

And now this one, has been here I think for at least 10 to 15 years.

I have always wondered what those cabinets was for, hopefully one of you lot may know smile

Thanks

Paul
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 12-Feb-15 12:56:49
Print Post

Re: What are these Cabinets?

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

The first is some form of electrical cabinet. The second, could be anything, but not BT AFAIK.

Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Thu 12-Feb-15 13:06:03
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
The first is some form of electrical cabinet. The second, could be anything, but not BT AFAIK.
I had a similar feeling also, if you look closely you can see some sort of plaque shield on the doors.

The second one, yeah I was aware it wasn't a BT one, thought it may be for Virgin Media, but they are not currently here and have never been, only other idea would be for the towns security cameras not far from it, unless they are wireless.

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Thu 12-Feb-15 13:52:18
Print Post

Is there a junction nearby? The second could be traffic lights, or a pedestrian crossing.
Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Thu 12-Feb-15 14:12:39
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TheEulerID:
Is there a junction nearby? The second could be traffic lights, or a pedestrian crossing.
Nope, they look different.

This is that second cabinet in Google Maps.
The silver one next to it was power to an ad board that used to be there a while back.
Anyhow if you zoom out and scroll to the left and up you will see the security camera.

This is what cabinets we have for pedestrian crossing.

And this cabinet for the cross roads traffic lights.

Paul
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 12-Feb-15 14:20:37
Print Post

I'd say traffic lights and CCTV camera stuff.

Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Thu 12-Feb-15 14:23:08
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
I'd say traffic lights and CCTV camera stuff.
Bit too far for traffic lights, but yeah I think the security camera.

Paul
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Thu 12-Feb-15 17:23:19
Print Post

I agree with Zarjaz, that it is likely to be an electric supply cabinet, from the days that local councils/corporations became involved in running local power stations.

I suspect that it dates from between 1900 and 1940.

Try comparing the "coat of arms" with that of the local council of that period.

Can you supply a Postcode for its location?

------------------

There are similar ones around central Edinburgh.

Also in Edinburgh, particularly in Princes Street etc, there are small manhole covers in the pavements, generally a cast-iron "tray", with a slightly convex concrete in-fill, with indentations to give some friction for walking over. About 2 feet by 1 foot.

In the metal edges, the raised initials "E C E S" - "Edinburgh Corporation Electricity Supplies", mainly from the early Dewar Place Power Station, followed by the 1935 Portobello Power Station.

The warm "cooling water" was passed to Portobello Outdoor Bathing Pool, next door.

London's Battersea Power Station was built about the same time as Portobello; and legend has it that about 3 extra courses of brickwork (about 1 foot) were added to Portobello's chimney, to ensure that it was taller than the four at Battersea.

Although Portobello PS was demolished some years back, there is still a fair-sized Transformer Yard with Grid feeds etc, across the road from the site.

------------------

There is a chance that your cabinet dates from an earlier period and the badge is that of probably a Tramway Company, as they were generally the first to build significant power stations in towns, to supply about 600 Volts DC to the overhead catenary.

In later years, this may have extended or been converted to supply trolley-buses, "Silent Death" as these buses were so quiet compared to the trams.

---------------

To get agreement to running the trams on Sundays, some churches were hooked in to those 600 V DC supply, to run the organ air pumps.

I recollect in the 1950s when one tramway system was being abandoned, the council which had taken over from the original company had to make special provision to connect such a church to the grid, with special arrangements to convert from the 240 V AC grid supply, to the 600 V DC needed for the organ pump, due to an on-going covenant. (No reason given why the easy route of simply putting in a 240 V AC motor/pump .had not been followed.)
Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Fri 13-Feb-15 11:01:58
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Postcode is E12 5AF

Google Maps

Been there for years, well all the time we have lived here.

When I next go out I will take a photo close up to the plaque, not sure when though due to health issues, I took the last pics on way back from a medical appointment.

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Fri 13-Feb-15 11:04:41)

Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Fri 13-Feb-15 12:23:23
Print Post

Morning Paul

Thanks for that Postcode.

The newer paving slabs beside it; and also beside the nearer, round, man-hole cover, may be associated with it, so also take a look at the circular cover, for names, initials etc.

I note that it apears to be in Newham, so you may have to look further afield to positively identify the "badge".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romford

Suburban expansion
(second Paragraph)
"
The right to supply electricity to the town was secured by the County of London Electricity Supply Company in 1913. Initially power was generated within the Star Brewery site, with the supply switching to Barking Power Station in 1925.[15] Gas supply began in 1825 with gas works of 25 acres (10 ha) constructed by 1938.[15] Following the Telegraph Act 1899 Romford became part of the Post Office London telephone area[19] and the Romford exchange was recorded as having 240 subscribers in 1916.[20] The town water supply initially came from the Havering Well, and 1859 a new public well and pump was built at the east end of the market.[15] The South Essex Waterworks Company started installing mains water supply in 1863 and had offices in South Street. By 1905 its supply was serving Ilford, Collier Row, Ardleigh Green, Brentwood, and Hornchurch. Sewage works were installed by the local board at Oldchurch in 1862, with further works built in Hornchurch in 1869.[15]
"

This may give a lead-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_London...

Interesting what comes to light!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to