General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Binary_Digit
(newbie) Tue 17-Feb-15 00:02:05
Print Post

Exchanges with FTTC.. Still ADSL MAX?

[link to this post]

Noticed my friends fairly rural exchange had FTTC rolled out last December and his cabinet is now active however what i am surprised about is that BT has decided not to upgrade the exchange to 21CN WBC/ADSL2+ and it is still stuck on Max. Is this normal? Is it likely due to it being out with the commercial BT roll out i.e. Digital Scotland..?

https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/NSMET
http://i.imgur.com/4apZvlT.png

Edited by Binary_Digit (Tue 17-Feb-15 00:03:39)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 17-Feb-15 01:08:30
Print Post

Re: Exchanges with FTTC.. Still ADSL MAX?

[re: Binary_Digit] [link to this post]

It's quite common on both the commercial rollout and the BDUK type.

Basically the new fibre cabinets near to the phone cabinets are fibre-connected back to a nearish larger exchange which has WBC and the fibre handover kit to transfer the traffic between Openreach and the CP hardware and backhaul. The phone line connection stays with the small exchange.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.5/15.1Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User ip75
(newbie) Tue 17-Feb-15 09:17:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Is there a way to find out which exchange a cabinet is connected to for fibre? I have a suspicion that the fibre feed to my cabinet is connected to a different exchange to my phone line, but I don't know if that information is publicly available anywhere?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Feb-15 09:52:13
Print Post

[re: ip75] [link to this post]

Yes, which exchange

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 17-Feb-15 13:56:17
Print Post

What does this checker say for your phone number?

If it only says ADSL then your cabinet is not enabled for fibre anyway. (Which doesn't mean to say it is never going to be).

Try your friend's number in the checker and you should see the difference.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.5/15.1Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Standard User Binary_Digit
(newbie) Tue 17-Feb-15 15:33:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

His phone number gets this..

http://i.imgur.com/t9c5qWa.png
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 17-Feb-15 16:53:20
Print Post

Sorry, we are both confused.

I didn't spot that the person I replied to wasn't you, which is why I asked about the friend and said what I did to him.

Because I mentioned the friend I confused you.

Standard User ip75
(newbie) Tue 17-Feb-15 17:07:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail the thread! My exchange is SSPTN, but I was asking more generally - whether there's somewhere we can look this info up.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Feb-15 17:12:32
Print Post

Believe you FTTC runs back to your exchange which also has 21CN WBC in it.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User chris6273
(committed) Tue 17-Feb-15 17:16:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by Binary_Digit:
Noticed my friends fairly rural exchange had FTTC rolled out last December and his cabinet is now active however what i am surprised about is that BT has decided not to upgrade the exchange to 21CN WBC/ADSL2+ and it is still stuck on Max. Is this normal? Is it likely due to it being out with the commercial BT roll out i.e. Digital Scotland..?

https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/NSMET
http://i.imgur.com/4apZvlT.png

Yeah this is pretty normal for rural small exchanges. What BT typically do is install a unit in the exchange which carries/routes the backhaul for the cabinets to a bigger WBC exchange where it joins the 21CN network or they run the fibres straight to the larger exchange if it's easier/cheaper from the cabinet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
A.K.A: Chrisszzyy

Telewest (2004-2006): 256Kbps -> 512Kbps
University of Portsmouth's Horrible Network (2013 - 2014) - Supposedly 100/100Mbps
BT (2006 - Present): 8128/448 -> 22494/1211 -> 79987/20000Kbps (BT Infinity 2 on Huawei Cab)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to