General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Sun 22-Feb-15 16:27:24
Print Post

What happens to Exchange ADSL after FTTC/VDSL Upgrade

[link to this post]

What happens to the ADSL connection etc in the Exchange, when the customer has upgraded to FTTC/VDSL or similar?

Bearing in mind the Filter incorporated in the FTTC in the now-linked "E" side line, is the Exchange ADSL left connected and running, relying on the FTTC VDSL filter to prevent onward ADSL connection to the "D" side line; or is the Ex ADSL switched Off; or physically disconnected etc?

If disconnected, is the Ex ADSL equipment likely to be redeployed?

We generally know what happens at our home end, another Modem/Router joins the pile in the corner!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 22-Feb-15 17:14:23
Print Post

Re: What happens to Exchange ADSL after FTTC/VDSL Upgrade

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

The adsl port at exchange becoms available for another customer

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Sun 22-Feb-15 17:32:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I wonder how often that happens, as by implication, VDSL is likely to be available in the same area.

Also, how many existing likely users do not already have ADSL?

A moot point.

In other words, is there redundant ADSL equipment accumulating in the exchanges?

Also, at the time of upgrade, my ADSL was working up to when the Kelly Technician did the linking and parting, without any co-ordination at the Exchange, suggesting that the ADSL was still connected at the Exchange for a significant time.

Edited by eckiedoo (Sun 22-Feb-15 17:35:21)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 22-Feb-15 17:33:50
Print Post

As Andrew says, plus you misunderstand the filter.

Both ADSLx and VDSLx filters merely prevent broadband wavelengths getting onto the phone lines in your premises, and any noise at those wavelengths getting onto the phone lines and back to hit the broadband connection.

Phone wavelengths are ignored by the modems so there is no filtering of those.

VDSL2 exists only between the FTTC cabinet and the premises. That and the phone signals are combined and split on the FTTC cabinet DSLAM, just like ADSL and phone at the exchange on ADSLx.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.5/15.1Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Sun 22-Feb-15 17:47:48
Print Post

There's no reason why the work at the exchange has to be coordinated. When the technician sets up the FTTC connection at the cabinet, the line back to the exchange is filtered so that only voice frequencies can pass. In effect, the DSLAM at the exchange can not longer "see" any equipment in your house. No doubt it is then configured, very probably automatically, to disable the exchange DSLAM line-card port. When/if the port is reclaimed at the exchange (which would require cabling work), I've no idea. Possibly it's only done when a new ADSL customer comes along (and there are probably ever fewer of those). Recovering a whole linecard would take a lot more coordination as each will support several lines and it would be a bit of a coincidence if all became free in some tidy pattern.

There must, by now, be a lot of unused ADSL ports around the country.
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Sun 22-Feb-15 19:18:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Evening Robertos

That was exactly my conclusion before posting the question, hence as the ADSL if still connected at the Exchange, could continue to come along the main length of the "E-side" line to the FTTC (via the new connection in the PCP), would be stopped by the E-side Filter in the FTTC from proceeding further, the VDSL being blocked on the other side of that FTTC Filter from getting back to the Exchange.

Thanks for in effect confirming what I thought.

Not only have I checked circuit diagrams of the ADSL "Splitters"; but I have taken one apart, confirming physically that the Modem leg is "straight-through" and that the Phone leg is "protected by the filter.

Still got to solder back on, one of the extremely fine wires that broke off when handling that splitter - but got plenty of others, so no rush!
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Sun 22-Feb-15 19:23:46
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

Thanks, EulerID.

It seems that we arrive at the same conclusions.

So the ADSL DSLAMS are will have relatively short working lifes, compared with the typical older phone equipment; and the rate of take-up of VDSL and beyond.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 22-Feb-15 19:52:28
Print Post

So the ADSL DSLAMS are will have relatively short working lifes
Why? Those on EO lines will continue to use ADSL/ADSL2+ as will, I suspect, many of those living close to the exchange and getting download rates around 20mbps. Once FTTC prices approach those of ADSL I would expect many of those who have held out to move to FTTC however those on EO lines will hang around longer especially those living where no BDUK funding is available to pay for the necessary network rearrangement.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 22-Feb-15 19:53:45
Print Post

Not quite as you described.

The remaining ADSLx connection will not have the exchange DSLAM/MSAN putting a signal down it other than the phone one. The broadband signal only arises once a remote modem on the line asks for a connection.

In any case, contrary also to what has just been said about disconnecting the phone line from the exchange DSLAM/MSAN I would expect that to be done fairly swiftly, otherwise the exchange end would get completely out of control. I could be wrong but I'd be surprised.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.5/15.1Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User partial
(committed) Sun 22-Feb-15 21:40:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I could be wrong but I'd be surprised.

You could be wrong and I wouldn't be surprised. smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to