General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trif
(newbie) Mon 23-Feb-15 10:20:22
Print Post

How to get a section of line replaced

[link to this post]

I may have asked this in the wrong sub-forum originally,

basically i have a faulty section of line, details below, and I'm wondering how to go about getting it replaced as its only faulty when it rains frown

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bt/f/4390652-how-to...
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Mon 23-Feb-15 14:28:11
Print Post

Re: How to get a section of line replaced

[re: trif] [link to this post]

Just keep reporting a fault, when it is present of course; make sure to mention intermittent and only when raining, maybe eventually it will get done.

Ian
Standard User 961a
(newbie) Mon 23-Feb-15 14:54:58
Print Post

Basically it's up to your ISP to sort this with Openreach

I had exactly the same sort of problem and was getting poor speeds and disconnects all the time. Having first ensured internal wiring was not to blame I raised the problem with the ISP (Plusnet) and, over a period of about 6 months, they pestered Openreach to rectify several faults on the long line to the exchange.

It is not difficult for an on the ball engineer to establish just where the faults are on the line and, as in the example, it may often be the case that all the pairs in a cable have been damaged by trees/wind/damp ingress over many many years. Be aware that there may be several/many faults on a long line. Ours included airgun practice on junction boxes!

In my case, once the integrity of the line had been sorted the disconnects stopped annd the speed more than doubled

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Mon 23-Feb-15 15:15:52
Print Post

In a word, persistence. Intermittent faults are the worst. Openreach engineers hate them. Customers hate them. The problem is that by the time the engineer actually arrives, the problem has usually gone. The water ingress can be anywhere, so it's a potential nightmare.
Standard User PaulKirby
(committed) Mon 23-Feb-15 16:30:27
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TheEulerID:
In a word, persistence. Intermittent faults are the worst. Openreach engineers hate them. Customers hate them. The problem is that by the time the engineer actually arrives, the problem has usually gone. The water ingress can be anywhere, so it's a potential nightmare.
Yeah, we have the very same issue with the wind and rain, which causes issues on our line, TBH I have just got so fed up having to get in contact with BT for them to resolve the issue, they just tell me its up to the engineer if they decide on replacing copper lines due to issues and in most cases that hardly happens.

So what I end up doing now is when it gets bad to a point where we have lost 80 to 90% of our speed I just wait for the rain to stop and then unplug the router and wait 5 mins and then power back up and hope.
If I see the SNR has gone up I then phone BT to reset it and then 2 to 3 days later it reboots and we are back to normal, well until the next rain fall that is.

We are still having loud screeches/static noise on our phone line, strange thing is only we can hear it and the people the other end cannot.

Many years ago I do recall having an engineer arrive a few days after when the rain had stopped where they checked the line and did say there was some issue on the line and that they would need to come back later to confirm this, they never came back, and we still have this intermittent issue and this is on both of our lines not just one, so it would probably need for the whole wad of copper line to be replaced, which will never happen, probably be cheaper for them to install fibre tongue

Roll on fibre.

Paul
Standard User idb
(committed) Tue 24-Feb-15 18:41:24
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

A bit of luck helps as well.

The third engineer who tried to locate an intermittent fault on my line was off on his holidays the very next day. He wasn't too interested in dashing around the county on his last day so he spent a couple of hours changing the complete D side routing back to the cab.

Result: no more problems on my line!
Standard User trif
(newbie) Wed 25-Feb-15 00:09:07
Print Post

[re: idb] [link to this post]

Unfortunately we can't be routed around the problem as the dodgy 16 pair aerial cable is all in a similar state frown

I guess I'll just have to keep watching the weather and hoping an engineer and a Line team both come out when its wet,

The most annoying thing is that one engineer actually found the fault, identified the single section to replace (just 1 length of less than 100 meters) but he even said the Line team are unlikely to actually replace it as the fault wont be there when they come.
  Print Thread

Jump to