General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-Feb-15 15:16:22
Print Post

New overhead line fitment query.

[link to this post]

Do Openreach need permission to span a line from a pole in a field across the road which then crosses over my garden and a tree to the house next door which was a rural holliday home but has now been sold but no one in full time residence yet ..... maybe another holliday home once again?

The line is not many feet above a small fir tree unfortunately I wasn't around when the job was done to query the OR linesman but I guess it didn't matter that the tree could grow into the line some time in the future.

http://postimg.org/image/6gbgv7fwr/

http://postimg.org/image/fzl5oo3ez/

Edit: typo

plusnet user

Edited by Apprentice (Mon 23-Feb-15 15:35:12)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Feb-15 17:37:23
Print Post

Re: New overhead line fitment query.

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Do Openreach need permission to span a line from a pole in a field across the road which then crosses over my garden and a tree to the house next door

No they don't. If however the dropwire is now obscuring the view from the window, you might have some recourse to have it rerouted.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Mon 23-Feb-15 19:04:44
Print Post

I suggest that you write to Openreach pointing out that the line has been installed without your permission, and that it is above your trees which will grow.

I rather think that the normal telecommunications act code powers require them to obtain your permission. If you were to decline I would think they would have to obtain a court order to proceed. IANAL!

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Feb-15 23:01:39
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

I suggest that you write to Openreach pointing out that the line has been installed without your permission,

That would imply that you own the airspace above your land wouldn't it ?? Am I then able to request that planes passing overhead seek my permission before they enter No.14's airspace ?? So all these pictured houses had to grant BT/Openreach permission to erect the dropwires as they have flown over someone else land ? I really suspect not.

Standard User APTMAN
(learned) Tue 24-Feb-15 00:49:45
Print Post

I'm sure If I lived there it would not be there for long, say a windy day ! a length of rope and a good pull smile
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Feb-15 08:24:34
Print Post

[re: APTMAN] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by APTMAN:
I'm sure If I lived there it would not be there for long, say a windy day ! a length of rope and a good pull smile

Glad you're not my neighbour wink

I would risk losing Internet and phone (which may be essential) because you have a grievance with BT. I'm sure you wouldn't really do it but it might give others the wrong idea...
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Tue 24-Feb-15 11:59:54
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I doubt that you would be troubled by planes flying that low.

If it was the branch of a neighbours tree, you could cut it off, though you must return it.

Michael Chare
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Feb-15 12:28:16
Print Post

Thanks for the variety of replies everyone smile

plusnet user
Standard User kev_445
(regular) Tue 24-Feb-15 16:20:45
Print Post

This is from the Openreach web-site:
What are "flying wires"?
Under certain circumstances, Openreach is allowed to "fly wires" over an adjacent property from an existing pole without the need for a wayleave. This permission only applies providing we do not need to enter the property concerned to do so, that the wires are at a height of 3m or more, and that they do not interfere with the normal business on the property.

Found on the following page:
http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/contactus/wayle...

Which is from the following section (Wayleaves):
http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/contactus/wayle...

I hope that helps clarify the situation.
Standard User jphilip
(member) Tue 24-Feb-15 16:29:18
Print Post

Bear in mind also that the alternative to a flying wire might be an unsightly new pole on your property boundary.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to