General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User YoungVanish
(newbie) Thu 05-Mar-15 11:37:51
Print Post

Speed issues

[link to this post]

My village has finally had Open Reach/contractors laying fibre optic lines to a new cabinet at the side of the existing BT cabinet, about 100yds from my house. Although it's still awaiting a power supply to be connected.

When it does go 'live', if I don't take up a 'high-speed' broadband contract with my ISP what are the chances I'll see a speed benefit anyhow? Or will my current 3Mb connection forever be routed through the old system? (for spite?)

YV
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Mar-15 11:41:21
Print Post

Re: Speed issues

[re: YoungVanish] [link to this post]

You are unlikely to see much difference without upgrading.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Mar-15 11:44:21
Print Post

No spite involved at all, new service so you need to decide to elect to upgrade to the new service which can include higher pricing and new contracts.

Forcing people to upgrade would be a highly unpopular exercise, particularly as not all retailers sell the fibre based services yet.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Mar-15 11:47:10
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

You are unlikely to see much difference without upgrading.

Any difference surely ?

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Mar-15 11:50:55
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Theoretically changes in crosstalk characteristics in a bundle could slow or speed up the line. That is why I didn't want to make an explicit statement.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 05-Mar-15 12:02:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by YoungVanish:
Or will my current 3Mb connection forever be routed through the old system? (for spite?)

YV

What other system could it be routed through? You have a choice, upgrade and pay a little more which will go towards the cost of putting the new infrastructure in place or stay where you are. Nothing is free.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(newbie) Thu 05-Mar-15 18:12:26
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Or will my current 3Mb connection forever be routed through the old system? (for spite?)

YV

What other system could it be routed through? You have a choice, upgrade and pay a little more which will go towards the cost of putting the new infrastructure in place or stay where you are. Nothing is free.

I have no knowledge of telecoms distribution methods, but I'd assumed that fibre optic carried both telephone and broadband traffic, it just did so more efficiently and speedily.
Other utilities would not install a new pipeline, drainage or cables and keep the old one in place ~ it would surely become the new and preferred method of transporting all the particular service.
So do I understand that telecoms use copper and fibre optic in parallel and that the fibre is almost solely for broadband traffic?

YV
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Mar-15 18:16:28
Print Post

The fibre is used for the broadband only in the case of the FTTC roll-out, the voice continues to go over the copper element.

Unlike Gas and Water when they upgrade pipework they still charge the same for your service and spread the upgrade cost out amongst all their customers.

Telecoms tends to offer the upgrade and you choose to or not to upgrade, i.e. market led

For FTTC based service the copper is still used for both broadband and voice between you and the cabinet of course.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Thu 05-Mar-15 18:26:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
For FTTC based service the copper is still used for both broadband and voice between you and the cabinet of course.

Thanks for that, I now understand.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 05-Mar-15 18:26:57
Print Post

Other utilities would not install a new pipeline, drainage or cables and keep the old one in place ~ it would surely become the new and preferred method of transporting all the particular service.

Actually, they do.

One of my neighbours had a statutory noticed served on him a few years back informing him that a new sewer would run through his garden and then under his car port and out to the road. Was he connected to it? NO.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to