General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Fri 06-Mar-15 08:14:51
Print Post

Is moving to fibre really worth it?

[link to this post]

I'm an old o2 broadband customer that got shipped to Sky and am still on a broadband only deal.

I have a few niggling problems with the coverage of the wireless and the broadband occasionally pausing.

I'm temped to change broadband supplier and am half thinking of moving to fibre.

However we already have a good Sky BB connection being synced at 17023 kbps.

So my question is whether we would really notice a difference moving to fibre other than an improvement in speed when sending emails.?

There are four adults in the house, mostly using it for emails and browsing, but with the odd bit of video and music streaming.

Thanks for your help.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-Mar-15 08:27:44
Print Post

Re: Is moving to fibre really worth it?

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

How often do you find your existing service too slow?

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Fri 06-Mar-15 09:07:57
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Intermittently on the iMac we have cabled directly to the router. More issues on the laptops / ipads connected wirelessly.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 06-Mar-15 09:18:36
Print Post

Those issues are probably local to the router and nothing to do with your ADSL connection. Why not consider an upgrade to the hardware - 18Mbps is totally adequate for your needs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User 961a
(newbie) Fri 06-Mar-15 09:45:16
Print Post

I don't think you will find any great advantage in moving to fibre

Whether you can get a better (cheaper?) deal by moving to another ISP and buying everything from one supplier is another matter but basically, if it ain't broke don't fix it
Standard User philippercival
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-Mar-15 12:19:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by jaydub:
So my question is whether we would really notice a difference moving to fibre other than an improvement in speed when sending emails.?

If your emails are not loaded with lots of large attachments, normally pictures, then email is one of the least demanding things you can do on the internet and you will notice no speed difference.

If on the other hand your are in the habit of attaching more than one picture from most modern digital cameras to your emails, then it might well be quicker in the sending. However the extra speed will make little difference unless you have rung the person at the other end to tell them to expect it, as the overall speed of getting the message across depends on how often they check their email.

I might not have been quite so keen to upgrade if I was getting your speeds, however it has made a huge (*15) difference to me.

http://speedtest.net/result/2459383290.png

Solar Results
2013 3521kwh,   2014 3435kwh, 2015  400kw (so far)
My Broadband Ping
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-Mar-15 12:51:22
Print Post

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by philippercival:
If your emails are not loaded with lots of large attachments, normally pictures, then email is one of the least demanding things you can do on the internet and you will notice no speed difference.
+1

Yes, email is the last thing you'd see any improvement. It's so simple and efficient, not like some of the over-busy webpages you see nowadays.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to