General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Broadbean2
(learned) Fri 13-Mar-15 13:36:17
Print Post

Cabinet Connectivity Query

[link to this post]

I’ve located a website (CodeLook) that provides, amongst other things, the percentage of lines in a particular postcode area connected to a single cabinet. However, for my area – SA38 9PZ (a semi-rural part of Ceredigion, West Wales) my cabinet (No 3) is listed as serving 25 nearby postcodes, with distances from the nearby exchange (Newcastle Emlyn) ranging from 530m to 5,621m.

Is there any way of determining, with any real degree of accuracy, how many lines are connected to a specific cabinet?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Mar-15 14:04:42
Print Post

Re: Cabinet Connectivity Query

[re: Broadbean2] [link to this post]

Probably 90 active lines on the cabinet closest postcode is SA38 9PD I think and furthest is SA38 9QG which is only partly served by cabinet 3.

If the indicative plans are correct the suggestion is that distance does not matter as FTTP on the way, but plans change depending on how far the money is spreading

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Broadbean2
(learned) Fri 13-Mar-15 16:03:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi, thanks for the prompt response – much appreciated.
With hindsight, perhaps my initial enquiry should have been posted in the Fibre Broadband thread instead. Can it be relocated to there?

According to BT/Superfast Cymru, the fibre rollout in my area has been further delayed from Dec 2014 to June 2015 due to (in their words) cab location problems and that they were looking for suitable locations for the fibre cabs.
The need for the new fibre cabs to be installed within 100 feet of the existing telephony cabs seems to be the main problem and, from what I have seen of existing cab locations, may be difficult to achieve.

My particular cab, with so few lines connected to it, will not be upgraded for FTTC (too many long lines on it anyway). Whilst I can hope for the planned FTTP solution, I have some doubt as to whether it will transpire. Last October Superfast Cymru confirmed that my postcode area definitely falls within their planned program but recent communications from them now make me less confident that it will be.
This leads me to one final question:

If BT/Openreach run into problems in a particular area during a fibre rollout, would the contract that they have entered into call for them to bear the costs out of their own resources?
I expect it does; however, with less than a year to go before the Superfast Cymru program ends, I would not be surprised that the ‘bean counters’ have the final say and that a particular area initially earmarked for upgrade does not progress to completion.
I assume the following notation on the Superfast Cymru website provides the appropriate ‘get-out’ clause?

This information is subject to further detailed survey and is therefore indicative and may be subject to change during the life of the Project.

Que sera, sera!!!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Mar-15 16:13:45
Print Post

If BT run into problems in a particular area they are at liberty to consider another area instead e.g. if when doing work they hit a major issue they may not resolve that and relocate a cabinet or leave FTTP work partially done. Both cost to complete work and timescales to hit milestone targets are considerations here.

The contract is on a overall Welsh figure, rather than each cabinet area, so if cab A proves difficult cab B elsewhere might suddenly see a roll-out when not previously planned.

This flexibility is allowed, since the overall goal will be met, and is partly why councils/gov are reluctant to give firm roll-out plans, as once survey and work starts things properly unknowns do pop-up.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Broadbean2
(learned) Fri 13-Mar-15 19:58:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hmmm – thanks once again for the prompt response and information provided.

If I was a bookmaker I would be quoting ‘odds on’ that my postcode area will now ‘fall at the first hurdle’ (i.e. be in the 4% that will miss out). Still there’s a glimmer of hope on the horizon assuming the UK remains in the EU - the EU’s Digital Agenda for Europe:
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=c... where the objective is to ensure that, by 2020, all Europeans have access to much higher internet speeds of above 30 Mbps (and 50% or more of EU households subscribe to internet connections above 100 Mbps).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Mar-15 20:07:32
Print Post

And to that end

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6843-welsh-govern...

Print Thread

Jump to