General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GeekOfBroadband
(newbie) Mon 16-Mar-15 02:17:33
Print Post

ECI VS HG612 / G.INP / BROADCOM WHO'S THE BEST

[link to this post]

I have the latest ECI modem and I ordered a HG612 3B because my ECI one keeps disconnecting every 2 weeks or so (Is that normal?) And people have said the HG612 IS better because of the BROADCOM chipset being superior (Or something like that) and that it already supports G.INP and doesn't need a firmware update like the ECI models. Now I'm 99% sure I'm on a ECI DSLAM should I try the HG612? Or should I just leave my ECI modem plugged in. I want it to be stable and I don't know if the ECI modem it updating it's firmware or just randomly rebooting
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Mar-15 08:02:29
Print Post

Re: ECI VS HG612 / G.INP / BROADCOM WHO'S THE BEST

[re: GeekOfBroadband] [link to this post]

I doubt it makes much difference either way. If your line keeps disconnecting you need to report a fault to your ISP. Whatever differences there are between different modems are unlikely to 'fix' a dodgy line. Follow the usual xDSL fault procedure. Plug modem into test socket and if it improves things. If not, call your ISP.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Mar-15 08:43:01
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

I'm not sure I'd call a line that "keeps disconnecting every 2 weeks or so" a dodgy line. The OP hasn't said when the disconnects occur: if it's overnight it could be just BT maintenance work.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 16-Mar-15 08:44:08
Print Post

Your stability issue is probably nothing to do with the modem - unless it is faulty. There can be plenty of reasons however modem firmware/design/chipset is unlikely to be one of them.

In reply to a post by GeekOfBroadband:
... And people have said the HG612 IS better because of the BROADCOM chipset being superior (Or something like that) ...

More fool you for believing them. In some cases Huawei will perform better, on others the ECI - dependent on many factors and I am sure that no one has tested those to against every possible combination.

I use an ECI where the DSLAM is Huawei and get over 2Mbps extra, it is stable and has be continually connected for months unless I run a power cycle, or as happened recently DLM introduced interleaving again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User bowdon
(member) Mon 16-Mar-15 10:34:03
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

If you get the HG612 then it'll be easier to get some stats off the modem using the various monitoring programs. Its worth a try if you're buying one.

The 14 day thing sounds like what happened when I had the HH5.. but like others have said it could be a few things causing that. I am doubting it being a line issue at the moment.

It'll be good to plug in the HG612 and get some stats from it. Then you'll see a bigger better picture of whats going on.

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 16-Mar-15 23:45:50
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
I use an ECI where the DSLAM is Huawei and get over 2Mbps extra, it is stable and has be continually connected for months unless I run a power cycle, or as happened recently DLM introduced interleaving again.
I assume the interleaving cost round about 10Mbps and added 8ms latency? Running on the Huawei at 2Mbps could improve stability and error counts sufficiently to maintain Fast Path and the lower latency.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4 (interleaved)/15.6Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 17-Mar-15 09:20:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Around 5 Mbps and 9ms! The 2Mbps in difference in download speed was with interleaving on.

The Huawei always had interleaving on - apart from a couple of very short periods, moving to the ECI to sort an issue with HG612s - latency spikes every 40 minutes or so, saw interleaving off within a day or so and has been like that for months.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Mark07
(learned) Tue 17-Mar-15 16:49:31
Print Post

I'm running a Huawei on an ECI cab, interleaving on and I'm "losing" about 4Mbps. Syncing at 36000kbps and max attainable is just shy of 41000kbps
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 17-Mar-15 18:05:54
Print Post

[re: Mark07] [link to this post]

When interleaving kicks in it is normal for "Attainable" to rise at the same time as sync falls. And the opposite when interleaving is removed.

Often commented on in the past in the Fibre Broadband forum.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4 (interleaved)/15.6Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 18-Mar-15 19:56:54
Print Post

I believe ECI dslams have not had G.INP enabled.

My comment si based on MDWS data and reading forums.

Plusnet Fibre Unlimited BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
  Print Thread

Jump to