General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Mar-15 00:30:55
Print Post

Have I got this right?

[link to this post]

I bought myself an Asus DSL-N55U on the weekend. It has the ability like my Billion 7800 to tweak the SNR. Problem is the max stable sync rate I can get out of it is 16 meg, whereas my Billion will do 18 meg stable.

So someone suggested to me to use the Billion in pure bridge mode, so I set that up. Then I configured the Asus to use one of the LAN ports as a WAN and connected the two. The Asus then presented me with a PPPoE configuration page. I was using PPPoA on the DSL side but it seems to work ok after filling in the user name and password. Have I got the configuration right? There is no PPPoA option on the Asus page just 5 other options such as Static IP, Automatic IP, PPPoE, PPPTP and L2TP. What are these other options?

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 18-Mar-15 01:07:41
Print Post

Re: Have I got this right?

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

PPPoA means Point-to-Point Protocol over ATM, which is how a modem talks to the MSAN/DSLAM on BT Wholesale ADSLx systems.

PPPoE means Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet, which is how the ASUS is talking to the modem (Billion). But the PPP session established with the ISP is between the router (ASUS) and the ISP, which at your end is PPPoE now, changing to PPPoA on the Billion.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4 (interleaved)/15.6Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 18-Mar-15 01:08:59)

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Mar-15 01:11:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ok I get it now, but what are the other options in the OP.

Tim

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 18-Mar-15 07:54:40
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Static and dynamic IP - basically what you'd use on a cable modem service.

PPTP and L2TP too different tunnel systems for authenticating you across the network and not used on xDSL in the UK

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Mar-15 11:11:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Many thanks Andrew.

Tim
  Print Thread

Jump to