General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User FredTheB
(regular) Sun 22-Mar-15 21:04:49
Print Post

Best router for ADSL?

[link to this post]

Hey there,

I should roughly receive 5Mbps speeds in my area, but last week only realised that my router was slowing it down to 2Mbps! So we are planning to buy a new router. We know that fibre will be with us later on this year, so I was wondering what router will be good for my current speeds, but also will be good when I receive fibreoptic? Thanks
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 22-Mar-15 21:12:30
Print Post

Re: Best router for ADSL?

[re: FredTheB] [link to this post]

Which ISP and are you happy with doing a minor "hack"?

The 2wire2700HGV supplied for BT business is great for long ADSL lines - however it is initially locked to BT although it can be unlocked. They are available for around £5-10 in an unused condition and if you have FTTC coming, a cheap option.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User chris6273
(committed) Sun 22-Mar-15 21:27:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by FredTheB:
Hey there,

I should roughly receive 5Mbps speeds in my area, but last week only realised that my router was slowing it down to 2Mbps! So we are planning to buy a new router. We know that fibre will be with us later on this year, so I was wondering what router will be good for my current speeds, but also will be good when I receive fibreoptic? Thanks

The Billion 7800n is a fantastic router/ADSL Modem that is good for ADSL and FTTC when it becomes available (As long as it's only up to 100Mbps and used in conjunction with a modem for FTTC).

Have one that's been with us for over 2 years and worked perfectly on ADSL and works great in conjunction with the HG612 on FTTC.

Also allows SNR tweaking which is good if the DLM has messed your line up and you are sure it's capable of more.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
A.K.A: Chrisszzyy

Telewest (2004-2006): 256Kbps -> 512Kbps
University of Portsmouth's Horrible Network (2013 - 2014) - Supposedly 100/100Mbps
BT (2006 - Present): 8128/448 -> 22494/1211 -> 79987/20000Kbps (BT Infinity 2 on Huawei Cab)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 23-Mar-15 00:46:12
Print Post

[re: chris6273] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by chris6273:
Also allows SNR tweaking which is good if the DLM has messed your line up and you are sure it's capable of more.
Yes on ADSLx, but not on FTTC with an HG612 modem. It's the modem that needs the tweak and SNR tweaking on it doesn't work.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4 (interleaved)/15.6Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User chris6273
(committed) Mon 23-Mar-15 02:01:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by chris6273:
Yes on ADSLx, but not on FTTC with an HG612 modem. It's the modem that needs the tweak and SNR tweaking on it doesn't work.

Yes I know, hence why I mentioned it's best used in conjunction with the HG612 modem on FTTC... I thought it was common knowledge that it's the modem which is responsible for SNR tweaking if any is available.

My reply was more towards the title of the thread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
A.K.A: Chrisszzyy

Telewest (2004-2006): 256Kbps -> 512Kbps
University of Portsmouth's Horrible Network (2013 - 2014) - Supposedly 100/100Mbps
BT (2006 - Present): 8128/448 -> 22494/1211 -> 79987/20000Kbps (BT Infinity 2 on Huawei Cab)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 23-Mar-15 10:00:52
Print Post

[re: chris6273] [link to this post]

Yes, I just wanted to point it out to the OP who very possibly didn't know. To them your post could have included FTTC in the tweakable bit smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4 (interleaved)/15.6Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-Mar-15 11:36:12
Print Post

The Billion 8800NL seems quite popular at the moment.
It can be used for ADSL and VDSL(FTTC), costs around £65.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Mar-15 11:47:59
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by b4dger:
The Billion 8800NL seems quite popular at the moment.
It can be used for ADSL and VDSL(FTTC), costs around £65.

It's good to see a few choices now, but more would be good.

For instance, where are Netgear's VDSL2 offerings? The only one available seems to be a German import model, with no official UK model.

Oliver.
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Mon 23-Mar-15 11:51:06
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Do the words 'Netgear' and 'good' go together? If so, I've yet to hear about it.

Faced with the choice between changing one’s mind and proving that there is no need to do so,
almost everyone gets busy on the proof. -- J.K. Galbraith
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Mar-15 11:53:45
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by micksharpe:
Do the words 'Netgear' and 'good' go together? If so, I've yet to hear about it.

In my experience, yes. Many people used DG834(G) routers for many years, and newer models like the DGN2200, DGN3500 and DGND3700 are solid performers.

Oliver.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to