General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User falko89
(regular) Wed 25-Mar-15 17:37:48
Print Post

Broadband speed worse after "getting fixed"

[link to this post]

I have posted before about my rubbish speeds from BT, I reported it to BT who got BT Wholesale involved. They told me they would be switching me to something else, sorry don't know the technical terms but anyway things seem worse.

I used to get 7mb through out the day but this reduced to less than 1mb in the evening.

Now I get 1.90mb during the day and same [censored] speed at night,

What could be causing this? I mean I am basically beside the exchange, I could throw a stone at it from my front yard its that close.

I mean its sync speed is over 8mb
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Mar-15 17:52:10
Print Post

Re: Broadband speed worse after "getting fixed"

[re: falko89] [link to this post]

Sync speed is 8128 I presume and what is the IP Profile set to .

As you are on an IPStream Max exchange a bad sync can mean you get slower speeds for a few days even if the sync speed improves. Basically same checks as you did in an old post http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/t/4392582-r...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User falko89
(regular) Fri 27-Mar-15 18:54:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Right OK back again, no one seems to know anything. Sync speed 8128, profile 7.15mb yet will not go over 1.90mb day or night, it will drop to as low as 0.50mb at night but will not go higher than 1.90 even at 6am in the morning.

I even changed routers thinking it was a router issue, no help at all. What ever BT Openreach did in the exchange made things worse.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Mar-15 18:59:59
Print Post

If this was PlusNet would say its the IP Profile stuck at their end, on the old IPStream this was more common and very rare but the reporting database in BT Wholesale may have missed on update, i.e. is applying 2 Mbps to the line while reporting a profile of 7.15 Mbps.

What does a speed test when its 1.9 Mbps speeds http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html the full graph link as the shape will help to show if its congestion or a hitting an artificial limit like the IP Profile.

Needs ISP to give things a good kick, or an old way was to force a really low sync (easy way is to remove a microfilter from a phone to induce noise), hold that for a few minutes, then remove the 'induced low sync' to create a new high sync event and hopefully wake up the database systems. This does carry a danger that the IP profile may stay low but seen as its already low its something I would do.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User falko89
(regular) Fri 27-Mar-15 19:09:41
Print Post

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html... My results.

I'm not sure how I would do the low sync as I got a new socket from Openreach with the filter built into the socket.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Mar-15 19:18:14
Print Post

Remove faceplate do you end up with http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/images/test-s...

More info at http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/

And then use a doubler to connect a phone and the ADSL modem (will need an old dial-up modem lead to connect modem).

Standard User falko89
(regular) Fri 27-Mar-15 19:24:45
Print Post

Yes was thinking I need a lead with a small end with a BT connection on the other. Time to go up the loft.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 27-Mar-15 19:43:20
Print Post

Are these speeds wired or wireless? What other kit is connected to the router in any way at all?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync zilch (problem somewhere) since 11:46a.m. 24/3/15
Standard User falko89
(regular) Fri 27-Mar-15 19:44:04
Print Post

Ok right I done that and connected with an old lead, the problem being the damn thing would not connect, it just kept flashing, I left it like that for 5 mins, went into the hub login and clicked connect still would not connect.
Standard User falko89
(regular) Fri 27-Mar-15 19:46:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I had to try both with BT, both results more or less same. Yes 2 phones connected and a skybox via wifi
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to