General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GeekOfBroadband
(newbie) Thu 26-Mar-15 21:42:29
Print Post

Billion BiPAC 8800AXL vs Openreach Modem Speed/Ping/Erros

[link to this post]

What is the best way to go for performance, use the openreach modem and another router or use the BiPAC 8800AXL? How does the BiPAC 8800AXL VDSL modem compare to the Openreach ECI modem in terms of speed/ping and error rate? Are 3rd party VDSL modems generally better than openreaches modems

Edited by GeekOfBroadband (Thu 26-Mar-15 21:43:08)

Standard User epyon
(experienced) Fri 27-Mar-15 00:34:15
Print Post

Re: Billion BiPAC 8800AXL vs Openreach Modem Speed/Ping/Erro

[re: GeekOfBroadband] [link to this post]

Well billion are generally good routers and modems

would the 88axl be better than a modem and router is very hard to say

speed there shouldn't be that much different

ping no change I'd imagine

error rates will be different but you would need to test them both on you line to see.

Talktalk Business - 80/20

TTB speedtest

Edited by epyon (Fri 27-Mar-15 00:35:40)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 27-Mar-15 00:40:50
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

It's becoming important now, of course, that VDSL routers are G.INP enabled. All huawei cabs are scheduled to use it by the end of the month, and non-compatible kit (even ECI modems I think) are getting 15ms more latency as a result it seems. AAISP are the main reporters of this but it is on these forums I think and on the Plusnet Community ones.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4 (interleaved)/15.6Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dparr59
(committed) Fri 27-Mar-15 01:16:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/g.inp

Quote below taken from link above
G.INP works with the following FTTC fibre broadband router modems:
Billion 8800NL
BT Home Hub 5

plusnet 20 Meg

Edited by dparr59 (Fri 27-Mar-15 01:25:21)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Mar-15 22:11:20
Print Post

[re: dparr59] [link to this post]

I am using Billion 8800NL and the G.INP have successfully activated yesterday morning and the ping was excellent too. Very pleased with it overall. Ping is only 9ms!

Edited by adslmax (Sun 29-Mar-15 22:12:35)

Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Mon 30-Mar-15 08:29:45
Print Post

[re: GeekOfBroadband] [link to this post]

Hi

The 8800AXL VDSL modem is Broadcom, and this is very much the same performance as the BT supplied HG612 which is also Broadcom. There are different versions of the Broadcom chip, but essentially the modem part is exactly the same.

What can cause differences is how good the overall design is of the external components and circuit design, although these days the gap has narrowed and the 8800AXL seems well designed. The other thing is consumer modems aren't designed to last, after 12 months of 24/7 operation they can start to degrade, so the noise level rises and that can reduce the sync speed and or SNR margin which can cause an increase in errors, not necessarily by much, but just getting a new "anything" can see an improvement just for that reason alone, its new.

So at worse, you'll see no differences, at best you might gain something on the line sync speed.

Other advantages are you swap two boxes for one with an all in one VDSL router, so save a bit of power and a bit of space. There shouldn't be any difference in ping or speed differences assuming the line rate stays unchanged, unless of course your current router is struggling.

Regards

Phil

Edited by PhilipD (Mon 30-Mar-15 08:30:51)

Print Thread

Jump to