General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User woodroyd
(regular) Wed 01-Apr-15 09:54:59
Print Post

BT TV

[link to this post]

I finally snapped yesterday after receiving the letter from Sky informing me of the forthcoming price increase. This was on top of the fact that the high winds in the night snapped the pole on which the dish was mounted and crashed to the ground.
So I rang Sky and cancelled my subscription, this was after a long battle with retentions who offered me the earth to stay with them.
I have signed up with a BT TV package that includes Sky Sports and HD all for £30 a month. Less than half what I was paying Sky and getting pretty much the same channels, at least the ones I watch anyway.
My question is, how much will the streaming programs effect other devices on the network? I am currently getting 65.81 Mbps on BT Infinity2 so I'm hoping that one laptop and two iPads will not be slowed down.
Has anyone out there got experience of BT TV?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 01-Apr-15 10:12:03
Print Post

Re: BT TV

[re: woodroyd] [link to this post]

It will depend on how the devices are connected.

If you are using WiFi for everything and the data rate there is low then streaming video may well cause issues on that link.

I would ensure the connection to the TV is wired to minimise any WiFi issues.

As for your services at 68Mbps - a 10Mb stream will have some effect however most applications would not notice the difference. Even streaming video to a TV, laptop and 2 iPads will not saturate the down stream.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User woodroyd
(regular) Wed 01-Apr-15 10:48:16
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks for that.
The setup will be after I ditch the SKY box will be a switch, wired to the TV, a BT TV box and a Blu-ray DVD recorder.
The laptop is wired to the router and the iPads are wi-fi
You mention a 10Mb stream. Is that the normal rate if you watch one of the streamed channels?

Edited by woodroyd (Wed 01-Apr-15 10:50:39)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 01-Apr-15 11:01:58
Print Post

A streamed channel can be anywhere from 1Mb up to 10Mb or more - depending on definition, depth of coding &c. I only used 10Mb as being towards the top end.

Go to BBC iPlayer and run a few streams - right click and you should see the data rate being served.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Wed 01-Apr-15 11:02:56)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 01-Apr-15 11:46:50
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

BT TV are too cheap and rubbish quality!

I using freeview! and use free sky sports on IPTV. Cost me nothing smile
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Wed 01-Apr-15 14:30:08
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
BT TV are too cheap and rubbish quality!

I using freeview! and use free sky sports on IPTV. Cost me nothing smile

Yes but Freeview will probably be nothing more than around 11 channels in future after spectrum sales for 5G...

Also the user might want a more user friendly interface and not some random streams from the web that are surely bordering illegal... though not for the viewer I know.

How is BT TV cheap when you have Freeview & compared to Sky free views quality is rubbish too smile

Plusnet Unlimited 21CN 4200/800 @ 4.2Km > TP-Link TD-W8968v3 - BQM IPv4
Plusnet Fibre Extra 66000/20000 @ 450m > HG612 (Unlocked) > Linksys LRT224 - BQM IPv4
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Apr-15 14:43:32
Print Post

I had BT TV with the IP channels on a 45Mb/s BT Infinity connection. For me it all ran fine - recordings worked for IP channels no problem and it all looked ok on a 46" HD TV.

I went back to Sky as I do watch some of the channels that aren't on BT TV/Freeview and was ending up also getting NowTV to supplement - Sky sent me a deal good enough to decide to go back to them.

But, I haven't yet bothered to open the letter they sent me yesterday as I already know what it says wink
Standard User woodroyd
(regular) Fri 03-Apr-15 10:42:12
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
I had BT TV with the IP channels on a 45Mb/s BT Infinity connection. For me it all ran fine - recordings worked for IP channels no problem and it all looked ok on a 46" HD TV.

I went back to Sky as I do watch some of the channels that aren't on BT TV/Freeview and was ending up also getting NowTV to supplement - Sky sent me a deal good enough to decide to go back to them.

But, I haven't yet bothered to open the letter they sent me yesterday as I already know what it says wink

Well, I installed the BT TV yesterday and I could not be more pleased.
The setup was childishly easy. The picture is great. The remote buttons are clear and logical.
This morning it had registered itself and all the streamed programs were available including Sky Sports. Broadband speeds on Wi-Fi devices seem to be unaffected.
Why didn't I do this a long time ago? Or at least since we got "Superfast Broadband"
The dish and brackets are down the recycle depot and I am cutting down the cables today. The house looks better for it already and I have £40 a month extra to spend on ?. Haven't decided yet!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 03-Apr-15 14:13:03
Print Post

Does it include the Sky F1 channel?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 03-Apr-15 14:31:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Does it include the Sky F1 channel?

No. Sky Sports 1 & 2 are the only Sky sport channels available (5 others including F1 are not on BT TV).

Oliver.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to