General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User roddy5
(learned) Sat 04-Apr-15 15:58:22
Print Post

WiBE

[link to this post]

Hi, Don't know if this is the right section for this question but here goes.

Have recently acquired a WiBE as I live in a very rural area, get a pathetic internet down the copper wire and just about get a 3G signal.

Have put in an O2 data SIM card for Android or Windows tablet, put some credit on the SIM and nothing!

Put in 192.168.1.1 and for SIM status it said "SIM Faiure" and for Network registration status it said "Unknown registration problem"!

Anyone got any idea? Have I bough the wrong type of SIM, if yes what should I buy?

Many thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 04-Apr-15 16:09:59
Print Post

Re: WiBE

[re: roddy5] [link to this post]

Any sim supporting data should work.

For initial sim registration being in a good 3G area may help

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User roddy5
(learned) Sat 04-Apr-15 16:25:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Txs

To get on-line, to use this forum, I had a T-Mobile dongle connected too my laptop it was next to the WiBE and this was working quite happily on 3G.

So although the dongle works on both 2G and 3G if I take the SIM out of it should this work in the WiBE? Tried it and it didn't work.

I have tried a reset on the WiBE as it is 'second hand' - no difference.

Any ideas?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sat 04-Apr-15 17:06:11
Print Post

FAQs > http://www.ruralbroadband.co.uk/faq-s

plusnet user
Standard User roddy5
(learned) Sat 04-Apr-15 17:19:28
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Many thanks.

Just found out that the SIM should sit flush in the slot and not proud as mine does - sounds like the machine could be faulty
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 04-Apr-15 17:25:17
Print Post

Or it's upside down or wrong way round.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User roddy5
(learned) Sat 04-Apr-15 17:57:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi

Tried it every way that was possible
Standard User gah789
(regular) Sat 04-Apr-15 18:31:28
Print Post

I use an older generation WIBE but I think the current design is similar. The SIM fits into a click-in slot. You put the SIM into the slot with cut angle downwards and on the right hand side when viewed from the the side of the WIBE with the LEDs. Depress it and there should be an audible click with the top of the SIM barely visible above the top of the slot. You can press it down again to release it.

If this mechanism does not work then you have a faulty model.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sat 04-Apr-15 18:31:54
Print Post

I have tried a reset on the WiBE as it is 'second hand'

Maybe "something happened" when the previous user was removing their SIM card, I know I have a job removing the SIM card from my elderly Nokia candybar PAYG mobile phone at times grin

plusnet user
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sat 04-Apr-15 19:13:12
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

As the chip is very small and is mounted directly under the gold coloured contact the tolerances are very tight and each contact has to tocuh the correct part (power, data, etc) otherwise it'll either not power up the SIM or the SIM will not exchange data with the device so it won't log on.

Dropped an old Ericson I had a couple of times and although the SIM moved only slightly the phone was no longer exhcnaging data with it and so the phone lost connection with the network until I removed and reinserted it.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to