General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Sat 04-Apr-15 19:38:19
Print Post

Underground armoured eithernet cable

[link to this post]

So I've decided to move my home office into a remote outhouse. Have run 30 metres of underground Ethernet cable between the home and the outhouse. Uncertain of the best/proper way to join the underground cable with internal CAT5e cable. Thoughts from readers of this posting welcomed.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 05-Apr-15 01:22:22
Print Post

Re: Underground armoured eithernet cable

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Armoured Cat5e is constructed of a standard Cat5e cable with a layer extra insulation over the top, that is followed by te steel armouring and then an outer sheath.

Get a 100x100 adaptable box and feed the SWA through a gland and into the box. The armouring stops at the gland so inside you will have Cat5e and the extra insulation layer. Get a Cat5e junction box which has 8 pairs of IDCs and terminate into that, keeping the box inside the adaptable. The internal Cat5e comes through a smaller gland and joins up.

All looks nice and neat - you could do away with te adaptable box, however it will look untidy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Sun 05-Apr-15 09:53:56
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

That's what I had in mind although my thoughts were to use jelly crimps. I have Goggled this task prior to posing the question and was surprised to note that for internal CAT5e only an 1" of sheathing should be removed with as much of the twists in the individual pairs left as is. I would have thought that method would have caused problems if re-termination was ever required.

I will follow your advice. It was noted that the UG glands came with an earthing lug. I don't intend to earth the armouring at either end but is that approach right/

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 05-Apr-15 10:01:11
Print Post

I am trying to think of a reason why it should be earthed - but so afar cannot. The glands will normally be used for power cables when an earth IS usually required.

The 1" comment is usual - not as important in this case. Gel crimps can work but a small Cat5e box will be neater and easier to manage.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Sun 05-Apr-15 11:00:38
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

MHC - Thank you for your responses which are much appreciated. Will follow your advice to the letter.
Standard User rarrar
(member) Sun 05-Apr-15 19:08:09
Print Post

Consider using a flexible ducting between locations and using normal spec cables .
More future proof, probably cheaper.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 05-Apr-15 19:18:15
Print Post

[re: rarrar] [link to this post]

Not cheaper now he's done it smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User rarrar
(member) Sun 05-Apr-15 20:58:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Should have paid for attention to the tense used !
  Print Thread

Jump to