General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User digis
(newbie) Mon 06-Apr-15 14:53:54
Print Post

maintain bandwidth for specific devices

[link to this post]

hello

I have sky broadband with SR102 device by sky

several devices get connected and the bandwidth becomes less available, so what I want to do is to maintain at least let's say 80% of the available bandwidth for two specific devices, or limit the bandwidth of all the other devices apart from those two devices, or something similar, I think you understand what I mean

I am not sure how to do that, I was told I need a device with QoS, but then again not all QoS devices can do what I want, and maybe devices or software that support guest network could offer me a solution, but I am not sure which device would do

I also need it to work and be compatible with sky broadband

I will never connect any device to the router/modem/or-whatever-you-want-it-to-call and I will never use a landline phone service

I need the cheapest device to connect to internet and that my two devices will not get clogged when many devices connect to the network

any suggestions please?

thanks!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 07-Apr-15 09:21:53
Print Post

Re: maintain bandwidth for specific devices

[re: digis] [link to this post]

By insisting on a single box solution you are slightly limited

The Asus DSL-N66U should allow you to do QoS and run as a single box no matter whether its ADSL2+ or VDSL2 that you are using. As for cheapest at £105 it may not be, but QoS tends to mean higher end devices rather than the bargain basement £39.99 devices.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 07-Apr-15 12:52:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
As for cheapest at £105 it may not be, but QoS tends to mean higher end devices rather than the bargain basement £39.99 devices.

I was quite surprised to see full QoS facilities in my TalkTalk Huawei HG533 which could probably be had fairly cheaply on Ebay. It would not be suitable for fibre though, if that what the OP has, due to Sky's custom auth mechanism.

Oliver.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 07-Apr-15 12:58:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
By insisting on a single box solution you are slightly limited

The Asus DSL-N66U should allow you to do QoS and run as a single box no matter whether its ADSL2+ or VDSL2
The DSL N66U doesn't appear to support G.INP so would not be a good idea for VDSL2

____________________________________________________________________________Information_without_perspective_is_a_higher_form_of_ignorance________
Standard User kamelion
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 09-Apr-15 02:42:43
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

It does with a a firmware update

Sky Fibre Unlimited
  Print Thread

Jump to