General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Apr-15 01:16:41
Print Post

Timescale for Porting BT Phone Numbers

[link to this post]

I have noticed that many recent EE joiners have had their landline number changed unbeknownst to them and/or because EE has claimed that the losing provider won't release the number.

The latest, a BT migrant, was told by EE that BT won't release his number but if he agreed to a new number, EE would sort it out now. On checking with BT he was told, of course, that they had no problem releasing his number. On going back to EE and insisting that they pick up his old number, they agreed but thereupon delayed his migration by 2 weeks.

Presumably it takes longer to port a number. The losing provider has to be informed, write to the customer saying someone is seeking to take over his line and give him a deadline, say 2 weeks, to lodge an objection.

Are EE breaking Ofcom rules by not trying to port customer's existing numbers when they could/should? Are EE doing this in order to tie-in new BB + Phone customers sooner rather than later? Does the statutory 14-day cooling-off period from sign-up have any bearing on this matter?

I feel something stinks about EE's practice. There are too many new customers who have had their numbers changed when they didn't need to be.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Wed 08-Apr-15 07:18:43)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 08-Apr-15 08:22:51
Print Post

Re: Timescale for Porting BT Phone Numbers

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I think they don't like it because it gives you the right to cancel, which you lose if your service starts right away. Sneaky.
The new Consumer Contracts Regulations came into force in June 2014.

Summary
  • Your right to cancel an order starts the moment you place your order and ends 14 days from the day you receive it
  • Your right to cancel a service starts the moment you enter into the contract and lasts 14 days
  • If you want to download digital content within the 14 day cancellation period you must agree to waive your cancellation rights
  • Companies are not allowed to charge you for items they put in your online shopping basket or that you have bought as a result of a pre-ticked box

____________________________________________________________________________Information_without_perspective_is_a_higher_form_of_ignorance________

Edited by BatBoy (Wed 08-Apr-15 08:34:32)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Apr-15 12:01:01
Print Post

Re: Timescale for Porting BT Phone Numbers *DELETED*

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Post deleted by XRaySpeX

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Apr-15 12:03:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Are EE breaking Ofcom rules by not trying to port customer's existing numbers when they could/should?

Ofcom obligate the losing provider to release the number for porting, but they do not obligate the winning provider to take it. I very much doubt the losing provider (BT) is at fault here, but I'm unable to say why EE are reluctant to take up the existing number.

Oliver.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 08-Apr-15 14:36:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Your right to cancel a service starts the moment you enter into the contract and lasts 14 days
I think you have misinterpreted it. The right to cancel lasts 14 days from making the contract regardless of when the actual service starts.

You have to be careful about interpreting legislation based on a secondary source.

If you read the regulations, specifically Regulation 36, you will see the rules relating to service provision when steps to provide service start within the 14 day cancellation period.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Apr-15 14:48:09
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Yes, that's true.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Apr-15 14:50:22
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
Ofcom ... do not obligate the winning provider to take it.
As I just found out when I reported this to Ofcom.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 08-Apr-15 14:52:11
Print Post

I think you have misinterpreted it. The right to cancel lasts 14 days from making the contract regardless of when the actual service starts.
I think you have misinterpreted it. The interpretation was done by Which? not me and I supplied the appropriate link. I suggest you refer to clause 37 of the regulations David_W kindly posted.

____________________________________________________________________________Information_without_perspective_is_a_higher_form_of_ignorance________
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Apr-15 16:06:41
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

You're right, I have, sorry. But I'm puzzled why you highlighted Digital Content and pointed to it in the Regs? That has nowt to do with this matter; Digital Content applies to the downloading of stuff (music, films) from the seller. This is a Supply of Service to which clause 36 of Regs applies as David_W correctly referred to.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 08-Apr-15 17:02:56
Print Post

Last time I looked, broadband involves downloading of stuff.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to