General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User edwinbradford
(learned) Fri 10-Apr-15 22:05:58
Print Post

Plusnet phone and broadband - moving house

[link to this post]

I am six months into a one year contract with Plusnet for phone and broadband. I'm trying to transfer my Plusnet phone and broadband package to a new address with no success. I move in a week's time.

I rang them last night and was told if I want to relocate my services they will ask me to agree to a new one year contract. When I joined Plusnet I didn't see anything in writing about this.

They're also telling me they can not port my services without the phone number of the house I'm moving to and preferably a MAC number although I can't see why they want this. I'm unable to get the phone number until I move in which means I'll be without internet for up to two weeks waiting for them to connect it.

Is there any way to find out what my phone number is at an address I'm not yet resident at or is it possible for them to connect services at an address without knowing the number? They told me they could set up a new number for me but they would charge me for this.

Any suggestions about what I should do? Am I obligated to take out a new one year contract?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 10-Apr-15 22:26:48
Print Post

Re: Plusnet phone and broadband - moving house

[re: edwinbradford] [link to this post]

House moves with most ISPs start a new minimum term (contract). Plusnet does, as per their T & Cs, Section 2 on this page, last updated March 2014.

Re the phone question, if there is still a phone service there is it still in use by the current residents? Does it also happen to have broadband on it?

Re the MAC, that has to be a nonsense. You can't get a MAC for a broadband service belonging to someone else - that's assuming there is a broadband service on it anyway, and that it's one where MACs are available.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 10-Apr-15 22:27:52)

(learned) Fri 10-Apr-15 23:01:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks Roberto, I was just editing my post with a link to that page you posted when you beat me to it. I thought the MAC key was wrong, I queried it with them and they told me they could maybe do it without one?*!*

Plusnet told me there are two phone lines at that address, one is BT and the other is TalkTalk, I think they said the TalkTalk line was due to cease soon. There's no-one resident at the address. I can't get any more information about the previous occupants or phone because the owner isn't returning my calls or messages.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sat 11-Apr-15 20:34:51
Print Post

[re: edwinbradford] [link to this post]

You don't have to start a new contract, but if you take that option the move will cost you £65 instead of being free!

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer
(learned) Sun 12-Apr-15 02:14:46
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Thanks, I found that out yes. I rang them a second time this morning, they were very helpful and I've decided to stay with them. The charges they levy are levied on them by guess who... our old friends BT Openleach so they're just passing them on.

Plusnet gave me several options from paying the 65 pounds with no contractual obligations to renewing a contract with different contractual lengths. I went for a new one year contract which they offered at a great price.

My tenancy agreement said I'm not allowed to change the phone number without permission which is why Plusnet needed the existing number. If I simply let them change the number there's no problem so I went ahead. As neither the apartment owner nor estate agent knew anything about the restriction in the tenancy agreement there was no problem.

Anyway all resolved and great service from Plusnet especially given their low price.
  Print Thread

Jump to