General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rogerfp
(member) Mon 20-Apr-15 20:05:10
Print Post

Devils Advocate - what is the point of ISP voucher offers?

[link to this post]

I sincerely hope no one on here would ever sign up to an ISP because of any offer or voucher. Most of these vouchers are totally valueless ie. Love 2 shop , Sainsburys et al. Anything you can buy from these companies with their vouchers can be bought elsewhere for 50/60/75% less elsewhere. Even a free tablet is worthless to me, I'm not that desperate. If I have evaluated the market and decided that XYZ is the best provider and there is a special offer on the table - fine. But nothing would ever persuade me to change to a rubbish provider for a few £100's of vouchers. The only offer that makes sense is a reduced fee for 3/6 months or more. That's money in your pocket. So what is the point of these vouchers. Do these ISP's really think we are stupid?
Standard User JonRennie
(knowledge is power) Mon 20-Apr-15 20:44:18
Print Post

Re: Devils Advocate - what is the point of ISP voucher offer

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

Explain to me how a Sainsbury's voucher for say £50, spent on your weekly shop, is not worth £50 - notwithstanding that there are probably cheaper supermarkets - but not that will save you 50/60/75% !

wink Comms is hard wink
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 20-Apr-15 20:47:35
Print Post

You can sell these things on Ebay to turn them into cash, then offset the profits against your broadband costs.
Simples.

____________________________________________________________________________Information_without_perspective_is_a_higher_form_of_ignorance________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rogerfp
(member) Mon 20-Apr-15 21:31:08
Print Post

[re: JonRennie] [link to this post]

You've missed the point. I asking why anyone would sign up to a particular ISP just because of the vouchers on offer? I only buy something or a service on its quality and what it offers me. Cost is irrelevant to me. There are certain ISP's that I wouldn't sign up to if they offered me a £1000 voucher?
Standard User rogerfp
(member) Mon 20-Apr-15 21:33:13
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Fair point, but I don't need the money. However I asked why would anyone sign up to an ISP just because of the bribe on offer.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 20-Apr-15 22:16:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by rogerfp:
I asking why anyone would sign up to a particular ISP just because of the vouchers on offer?

I personally don't know anyone who does. Do you?

Oliver.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-Apr-15 22:20:57
Print Post

Cost may be irrelevant to you, so I presume you pay full fat leased line pricing?

Probably not, suggesting cost is relevant and for some it is a lot more relevant.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 20-Apr-15 22:26:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I generally ignore vouchers when changing services because I don't like being "dictated to" where I shop. Cashback is a different matter, and I offset that against the cost of the services within the minimum term (I know it's not guaranteed, but it's almost guaranteed).

Oliver.
Standard User rogerfp
(member) Mon 20-Apr-15 22:30:40
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

No I don't either but I am assuming that there are some who do otherwise why would these offers be made? Presumably research shows that they work?
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 20-Apr-15 22:37:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by rogerfp:
No I don't either but I am assuming that there are some who do otherwise why would these offers be made? Presumably research shows that they work?

It's an incentive. If you are suggesting people sign up to an ISP only because of a voucher offer then no, I don't think that happens. Why would anyone ignore the fact broadband costs £50 a month and sign up just because of a £75 voucher? That would be ridiculous.

However, I do believe if someone is interested in an ISP anyway, the voucher offer may "push them over the edge".

Oliver.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to