General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User OldJake
(newbie) Sat 25-Apr-15 01:43:21
Print Post

Very Happy!

[link to this post]

Got my VM 152Mbps installed a couple of weeks ago but was only getting about 20 to 30 down. Someone at work said to reboot the hub and leave it off for several minutes. I've always been cynical about this business of leaving something off like this. After all, it's off, what difference does the amount of time make? But then it's not just a case of rebooting the HW, it's ensuring that the network sees the reboot as well.

Anyway, all of a sudden I'm consistently getting 150 with 160 bursts down and 12 to 18 up when testing here over wifi.

One question... On speedtest.net, I only ever see 30 to 50. Has anyone else had this?

A download test on a 1 gig file took 2mins 28 secs which seems to indicate about 65Mbps so there's a lot of discrepancy between them all!

I just need to get a decent router that supports QoS. 2 gaming addicts in the house with PS4s and they steal every bit of bandwidth. When they're both on they kill it.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether it would be better to replace the VM hub or to switch it to modem mode and add a second router?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 25-Apr-15 08:23:27
Print Post

Re: Very Happy!

[re: OldJake] [link to this post]

Are the tests wireless or ethernet. Need to be ethernet

Game play is minimal bandwidth 200 Kbps each. Only game downloads are big

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Apr-15 10:58:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by OldJake:
Does anyone have an opinion on whether it would be better to replace the VM hub or to switch it to modem mode and add a second router?

You can't replace it as nobody sells a router with the coax TV cable connections in the UK - also VM wouldn't allow them to be used.

Modem mode and a second router is the only option.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 product - Installed 2 June 14 - April Sync 57 / 11 with G.INP
16 years UK broadband (Sinxe 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Speedtest

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AAuser27
(learned) Sat 25-Apr-15 19:44:17
Print Post

You might have been shifted to a different CMTS or whatever it's called.

I always get full speed from this site and also from http://proof.ovh.net/files
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 26-Apr-15 01:40:23
Print Post

It may have fixed it however it was not the hub that was faulty, it would have been that you were shifted to a different part of the network (in layman terms). The network was still underperforming.

The issue with virginmedia is that they offer these high speeds but due to how the network is setup you can easily have major slowdowns on one street whilst the next street is fine.

BT Infinity and fibre provided by Sky, TalkTalk etc do not have this issue anywhere near as much.

Also speedtest.net downloads 6 files at once, which should hide congestion issues with the ISP quite well, so if you are getting slow speeds here it's indicative of a fairly large issue with congestion (assuming you are using wired not wireless).

You will not get 150Mbps via wireless unless you have a 5Ghz capable device and are sitting in the same room as the router (even then often it doesn't happen).

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 26-Apr-15 01:41:59)

Standard User OldJake
(newbie) Mon 27-Apr-15 09:06:07
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Well. it all slowed down again at the weekend. Apparently there is some sort of fault in the area which won't be repaired until the end of July. It manifests itself by slow speeds from time to time so they're going to refund me a portion of my fees until it's fixed.

In terms of the wireless, I'm on a Macbook Pro which supports 5Ghz. I'm not in the same room but I pretty much have direct line of sight to the router about 20 feet away. While it was working, it was consistently 150 Mbps with bursts of 160 ish.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 27-Apr-15 12:27:51
Print Post

Definitely try wired, wireless is always a "best effort." You are never guaranteed full speeds over wireless, although given your setup I doubt it's the wireless.

Does it go slow enough to stop you doing anything required e.g. streaming etc?
  Print Thread

Jump to