General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User asker
(newbie) Tue 28-Apr-15 22:26:47
Print Post

ADSL Max vs "Fixed Rate"

[link to this post]

According to www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html my exchange has the following available:

ADSL Max offering 5.5 Mbps
and
"Fixed Rate" offering 2 MBPS

There is also a note stating:

"The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014."

I'd be grateful if someone could answer the following questions:

1) With my current provider, I get a speed of over 6 Mbps, so presumably am on ADSL max; If I change to a cheaper provider, is there a possibiliy I'll only get "Fixed Rate" with a max speed of 2 Mbps? I suppose I'm asking if there really are two broadband speeds available from the same exchange.

2) Is "Datastream" a third product that is no longer available, or is is the same thing as "Fixed Rate"?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 28-Apr-15 22:38:15
Print Post

Re: ADSL Max vs "Fixed Rate"

[re: asker] [link to this post]

Datastream not available

Who is existing provider if llu may be faster than adsl max

Providers only use The fixed rate products if you order that explicitly ie. As rare as 5 numbers on national lottery

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AAuser27
(regular) Tue 28-Apr-15 22:39:18
Print Post

Hi,

I don't think so. Makes no sense to put someone on a fixed IPstream 2mbps service where ADSL Max (upto 8mbps) is cheaper and more flexible.

Datastream ( I think) was the system before IP stream came along. https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/products-se... is what I think I am on about. I also think Datastream was the fixed product but few people are on it now

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User asker
(newbie) Tue 28-Apr-15 22:49:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Datastream not available

Who is existing provider if llu may be faster than adsl max

Providers only use The fixed rate products if you order that explicitly ie. As rare as 5 numbers on national lottery

Existing provider is Plusnet. SSE offer free BB for two years if I move line rental to them, but their system tells them I'd get a max speed of 0.5 Mbps. Can I safely assume that is rubbish and I'd actually be getting the same product as I'm currently enjoying from Plusnet?

Edited by asker (Tue 28-Apr-15 23:09:56)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 28-Apr-15 23:15:31
Print Post

If no llu at exchange I'd avoid SSE as providers like them tend to perform poorly on ipstream max echanges due to small amount of backhaul capacity ordered

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User asker
(newbie) Tue 28-Apr-15 23:24:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If no llu at exchange I'd avoid SSE as providers like them tend to perform poorly on ipstream max echanges due to small amount of backhaul capacity ordered

ADSL Max and the Fixed Rate thing are all that are showing. I think you are saying that SSE are probably correct in warning me my speed will be low? Is backhaul capacity sort of like bandwidth they have to pre order from BT wholesale? So if I go with SSE, I could find my speed is actually restricted to 0.5 Mbps?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 29-Apr-15 00:44:24
Print Post

It wouldn't do any harm, and there's a slight chance it would help, if you tell us the exchange smile.

The BT Wholesale estimates are connection speeds, not throughput. The 0.5Mbps suggestion from SSE looks strange. Again, a copy and paste of the BTW estimates might help us help you.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Apr-15 08:11:01
Print Post

[re: AAuser27] [link to this post]

Datastream and IPStream were around at the same time but were wholesaled differently as they used different options for the backhaul from the exchange.

A small number of providers used datastream but the majority used IPstream. Both are now legacy products since the implementation of 21CN.
Standard User asker
(newbie) Wed 29-Apr-15 09:16:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It wouldn't do any harm, and there's a slight chance it would help, if you tell us the exchange smile.

https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/ESASB

The BT Wholesale estimates are connection speeds, not throughput. The 0.5Mbps suggestion from SSE looks strange. Again, a copy and paste of the BTW estimates might help us help you.

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number 01361840xxx on Exchange ABBEY ST BATHANS
Featured Products
Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date
ADSL Max Up to 5.5 -- 4.5 to 8 Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-Apr-15 09:20:42
Print Post

No LLU
http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/?postcode=TD11%...

So general rule is avoid the resellers, stick to the BT, PlusNet providers

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to