General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Darrenreagan2015
(newbie) Sun 03-May-15 15:43:31
Print Post

BT Infinity 2 or Plusnet

[link to this post]

Hello Just Wondering If Anyone Can Give Me Some Advise On Which Provider Provides A Better Router Has Had Any Experience With The New Hub 5 And The Plusnet Router?

Also How Is The Customer Service/Tech Support For Them Both?

Im Moving To A New House And Dont Want To Take My Virgin Broadband With Me.

The Postcode Area Is M24 2AF Its Showing I Should Get The Full Speed.

Any Advise On Both The Companies Would Be Great.

Thanks In Advance
Darren
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-May-15 19:27:47
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity 2 or Plusnet

[re: Darrenreagan2015] [link to this post]

Linky

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User Skilty
(regular) Sun 03-May-15 20:30:01
Print Post

Any reason you have discounted Sky, TT and Zen? They all have LLU on your exchange...

plusnet Unlimited Fibre (FTTC) > Sky Fibre Pro Unlimited. 13ms Ping, Sync ~ 65.29/18.83Mbps

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-May-15 21:29:47
Print Post

Both provide basic routers, Plusnet's is a router only where as BT's is an all in one router /modem There are 2 variants Version A & B the version A is known to be incompatible with G.inp,technology, so if you were supplied one of these, it may give an impacted service , and there is no reliable way of ensuring they supply a version B
Plusnet only do engineer installs, So would be down to what stock the BT engineer had on the van, ECI or Huawei modems

As for the service Plusnet have had and still do have peak time capacity problems , not heard of the same from BT retail,
Support Plusnet are UK based, but i have found them to be average ,they often get things wrong, too often imo, BT retails support are out sourced overseas , and can be poor, Plusnet are slightly cheaper than BT but BT don't give the option of a static IP address,

As a plusnet customer of 2 yrs i would not recommend them, due to their peak time issues that have been ongoing for months,

There are lots of isp's to choose from, like the less visible smaller ISP's like ZEN ,Aquiss,AAISP,XILO to name only a few, Who are more expensive, but these smaller isp's offer full access to the internet as well as possibly a better experience and support , or you have the likes of sky and talk talk both are full MPF only so you would have to pay line rental to them

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 03-May-15 21:43:29)

Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Sun 03-May-15 22:58:39
Print Post

Wouldn't recommend PLusnet right now due to network issues slowing us down and causing other issues too...

BT seems to be ok too but might be worth looking at others such as Sky...

Depends on your requirements!

Plusnet Unlimited 21CN 4200/800 @ 4.2Km > TP-Link TD-W8968v3 - BQM IPv4
Plusnet Fibre Extra 66000/20000 @ 450m > HG612 (Unlocked) > Linksys LRT224 - BQM IPv4
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Sun 03-May-15 23:57:22
Print Post

I've had an ADSL Plusnet account for about 5 years. I see to reason to complain about their service. Their support service is based in the UK.

I first applied to BT but they failed to provide a proper service (told me the service could not be provided). So I went to Plusent and I have in general always got what I wanted from them.

I dislike foreign call centres.

Michael Chare
Standard User Sylcol
(member) Mon 04-May-15 10:58:03
Print Post

I have been with BT infinity nearly two months having switched from TT to get fibre.
I find the HomeHub 5 works well with good WiFi coverage,I have version B.

Service and support is not very good, it is all overseas and is typical of those centres.
There is an online forum but it is not checked by BT staff. If a problem arises and you post on the forum it requires one of the regulars on there to enlist the help of a Moderator who is employed by BT. Once this has happened they do sort out any problems but this can be long winded.
The online chat is O.K. but is also overseas and sometimes there is a failure to pass on what is agreed to the U.K. and so nothing happens.
As with most ISP when it works well it is fine, problems are not so easy to sort out.

This is my experience so far.
(newbie) Mon 04-May-15 16:09:47
Print Post

[re: Sylcol] [link to this post]

Thanks For The Info,

Do You Get Full Fibre Speeds On Wireless With The Homehub or Is It Limited?

I Know The TalkTalk Routers And Sky You Can Never Get Half The Fibre Speeds Wireless.

Thanks
Darren
Standard User Sylcol
(member) Tue 05-May-15 12:20:52
Print Post

Hi,
I am on Infinity 1 which is up to 38 Mb and have just done a speed test with ookla and at about 15 metres from router through 2 brick and plaster walls I got 34.8 down and 9.4 up. (2.5 MHz)

I think thats very good, of course it all depends on your own situation regarding building and interference. Mine does not vary much at all.

The other point with BT is that if you choose to have it enabled you can access a lot of hot spots when you are out and about for free on Bt WiFi.

As I said, only a couple of months as yet and not without problems to start with but on the whole I am pleased with it.
Also, some very good deals for first twelve months available at the moment.
(newbie) Thu 07-May-15 17:28:30
Print Post

[re: Sylcol] [link to this post]

Hi Sylcol,

I Have Ordered BT Infinity 2 Today For My New House.

Got A Very Good Deal Unlimited BT Infinity 2 Upto 80Meg For £20 A Month For 12 Months Plus Line Rental.

So Im Very Happy With This Deal.

I Have Been Reading About The Home Hub 5 It Seems To Have Very Good Reviews,

Whats The Two Types Mean? Type A and B?

Thanks
Darren
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to