General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User alext05
(committed) Tue 05-May-15 10:02:04
Print Post

Switching Broadband and Phone Provider after June 2015

[link to this post]

A Guide to Switching UK Broadband and Phone Provider After June 2015 - article from ISPReview
Standard User AAuser27
(regular) Tue 05-May-15 16:44:44
Print Post

Re: Switching Broadband and Phone Provider after June 2015

[re: alext05] [link to this post]

Thanks for the information.

I read it all through and I think they are wrong about the Naked DSL bit. Why should it cause problems? I have a nakedDSL line but I still have a phone number linked to it and it shows up in all the checkers. SO why would that change if someone ordered FTTC and wanted OCB/ICB on their line?
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Tue 05-May-15 16:53:45
Print Post

I see that certainly to start with the new system only applies for Openreach changes.

For broadband, when switching between different physical infrastructure I have found that installing the new connection and then ceasing the old one works fine. It allowed me to test the new connection before discontinuing the old one. I was even able to test a vpn connection via my new connection.

I have also been able to get my new phone connection to work, granted the porting of my phone number will be a sudden change.

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 05-May-15 17:35:18
Print Post

[re: AAuser27] [link to this post]

Because you don't have a naked DSL line in the same way that Openreach is planning to do it, i.e. you won't have a phone number to pass on, just a circuit ID.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 05-May-15 17:36:51
Print Post

Once we hit June - we will be updating the http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/migration.html and fingers crossed will be able to make it much shorter.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Tue 05-May-15 19:52:57
Print Post

Does the process really have to take 10 working days? (Two weeks or longer)

Switching electricity suppliers is equally tedious!

Michael Chare
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 05-May-15 20:06:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Is the "electronic gateway for validation" basically the same system ISPs use to generate a MAC? But instead of the losing ISP doing it, the gaining ISP now do it for you?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 05-May-15 20:50:08
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

New systems hence long testing phase since we knew what would happen

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 05-May-15 20:51:02
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Yes unless you want to increase chance of people being slammed but knowing as was away for a few days

Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 05-May-15 20:58:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Think its better for the consumer. People on here will know how to migrate, not everyone will though. Least now they dont have to. The article does say this stops any ISP who break Ofcom rules and not issue a MAC. Thing is if they dont issue a MAC whats the chances of them writing to you as per the new rules
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to