General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 1_4_all
(newbie) Fri 08-May-15 21:15:30
Print Post

What Speed

[link to this post]

My current Plusnet fibre package provides up to 76Mbps but my line will only support up to 38Mbps. The speed that I actually receive is usually 36 37Mbps.

I am now out of contract. Should I save money by changing to a cheaper & slower package of up to 38Mbps unlimited since my line will simply not support a higher speed? On the other hand, is there some advantage in staying with the faster package?

I know my question may sound silly but I wonder whether the faster package may be less affected by the volume of traffic at peak times or by the number of devices being used in the household at any one time. Could one of the technocrats out there please advise me?

Trafford
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 08-May-15 21:23:56
Print Post

Re: What Speed

[re: 1_4_all] [link to this post]

Save the money. The connection is the same, the only difference is the speed cap.

____________________________________________________Information_without_perspective_is_a_higher_form_of_ignorance_
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-May-15 21:26:42
Print Post

My current Plusnet fibre package provides up to 76Mbps but my line will only support up to 38Mbps.

Why did PN provide and charge you for a Max speed fibre BB package when they would surely know your line was incapable of providing it?

plusnet user

Edited by Apprentice (Fri 08-May-15 21:28:06)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 1_4_all
(newbie) Fri 08-May-15 21:38:20
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Many thanks, BatBoy.

The speed cap doesn't affect me in view of the maximum speed I can receive. I'll go & save some money.

Trafford
Standard User 1_4_all
(newbie) Fri 08-May-15 21:44:28
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Thanks, Apprentice. I agree entirely with your point.

However, I suggest that other ISP's may have tried to sell me their most expensive package. I think the term is "profit maximisation".

Trafford
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-May-15 21:53:05
Print Post

Your estimated line speed

If we've done a line check for you, we provide an estimate of the broadband speed that your line should support.
Please see above for the 'Estimate line speed'.

If we're unable to provide a line check, we give you the option of continuing without a speed estimate, in which case you'd see the Speed Estimate as "Opted out".

Did you not get an estimated line speed for your fibre connection when signing up?

plusnet user
Standard User 1_4_all
(newbie) Fri 08-May-15 22:51:33
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Thank you for your efforts, Apprentice, but I really can't remember. I've been with PN for about 2.5 years. I suspect I did not receive an estimated line speed but I'm not sure.

I can't even remember what packages were available when I enrolled. I used to be with O2 on standard broadband with a speed of 1 to 2 Mbps.

Trafford
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-May-15 23:04:33
Print Post

When you login to the PN portal/members centre does it give an estimate here? :-

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer...

plusnet user
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 08-May-15 23:15:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by 1_4_all:
The speed cap doesn't affect me in view of the maximum speed I can receive. I'll go & save some money.
You would start a new 18-month minimum term, unless you can screw a deal out of the Retentions Department. Normal support couldn't vary it.

However, most retentions deals are to stay on a product at a reduced price. That too normally requires a new minimum term.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User 1_4_all
(newbie) Sat 09-May-15 00:06:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for that, RobertoS. PN have already offered me a new deal but they want me to sign up for another 18 months. I'll think about it when I've made some comparisons.

Trafford
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to