General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Arrit
(newbie) Wed 13-May-15 13:25:07
Print Post

Connection problems after replacing BT homehub 5

[link to this post]

Hi,

I have recently moved house and received a Homehub 5.

Previously in my old property I was using a TP-Link TL-WR841N router and the Open Reach Modem without any problems.

Since the Homehub 5 wasn't able to port forward correctly I decided to replace it with the TP-link and open reach modem which I have brought with me.

When they are connected up initially they work, after a short while however the internet connection is lost. The DSL light goes out on the Open Reach Modem. I cannot then re-establish a connection.

Once the Homehub 5 is reconnected the connection works correctly again.

Does anybody have any idea how to fix this?

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 13-May-15 13:40:07
Print Post

Re: Connection problems after replacing BT homehub 5

[re: Arrit] [link to this post]

Tried turning off all the port forwards you have set-up.

Another possibility is interference from the mains wiring, try moving the TP link and its PSU to a different plug

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 13-May-15 15:26:22
Print Post

If you are swapping out the HH5+xDSL cable and replacing with the modem+its cable, is the one from modem to socket secure in both sockets, particularly the modem one if they have been transported while connected, and is that cable also undamaged.

The cable used for the HomeHub 5 is fine to use with the OR modem.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Arrit
(newbie) Wed 13-May-15 15:31:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Did a factory reset with the router so there aren't any port forwarding rules are gone.

No other options for where to plug in the router but I don't think that is the problem.
Standard User Arrit
(newbie) Wed 13-May-15 15:32:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

All the cables are fine. Have tried others also the router and modem work for around an hour before they lose connection.

Edited by Arrit (Wed 13-May-15 16:09:36)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 13-May-15 16:07:09
Print Post

Does the modem get very hot? (Particularly if it's a Huawei).

Try propping up one side by an inch, to help air-flow through it, whichever make it is. Is it in a warmer or more enclosed location than previously?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User Arrit
(newbie) Wed 13-May-15 16:14:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It is a Huawei, it gets fairly warm but I wouldn't say very hot.

Wouldn't think there is much difference in air flow but I'll try moving to ensure maximum air flow. Thanks for the suggestion, still the air flow should be pretty good where it is.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 13-May-15 16:26:38
Print Post

Is it a Mark 3B? If not, the earlier ones were quite prone to overheat. Mine never did, but I acquired a 3B from elsewhere anyway. They were modified to prevent the overheating.

Before the 3B came out engineers had received revised installation instructions - wall mount them for air-flow.

Print Thread

Jump to