General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User thejinkazama
(newbie) Sat 16-May-15 09:58:05
Print Post

Some cabinets started to become enabled in my area

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I've noticed that some cabinets in my area have started to become enabled and have switched to "accepting orders" on Openreach. Mine now states "Enabled Area" but we are as of yet unable to order. Does anyone know, from experience, how long it typically takes for more cabinets to be enabled?

I'm on cabinet 4, postcode G668JS. Cabinet 2 is enabled, postcode G668DD.

Thanks

Edited by thejinkazama (Sat 16-May-15 12:13:37)

(newbie) Sat 16-May-15 10:13:26
Print Post

Re: Some cabinets started to become enabled in my area

[re: thejinkazama] [link to this post]

I've just phoned my ISP Sky who claimed that it won't be available within the next 3 months, despite an adviser stating that it would just last week. This seems to contradict what it says on openreach's website "Your area is enabled for Superfast Fibre but your cabinet is not ready yet so you can't place an order today. It is in our plans to be upgraded and we update this info weekly, so please check back later."

What do you think is happening?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 16-May-15 10:46:59
Print Post

Depends on the area, if it's been done by BDUK or just Openreach. Does the BT Wholesale DSL checker give an estimated date? http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.addres...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Sat 16-May-15 10:56:24
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

No mention of an estimated date but I don't remember seeing one on any of the other cabinets which have just gone live.
(newbie) Sun 17-May-15 10:40:29
Print Post

I passed by the fibre cabinet right next to Cabinet 2, which is showing as Accepting Orders on openreach's checker and also showing fibre speeds on BT DSL Checker. There was no fan sound like others have mentioned. Why would this be?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 17-May-15 11:43:38
Print Post

It's quite faint. You need your ear to the vents even when there is no traffic.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Sun 17-May-15 11:51:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I would also be surprised if it's not speed controlled according to the temperature inside. after all, most PC fans speed controlled. On a cool day and when only partially populated the fan might hardly be turning over. Also, a fan for a cabinet is bound to be designed for reliability so it's probably very large diameter turning at a slow speed anyway.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-May-15 09:50:36
Print Post

Sky still do unbundling with fibre and so need to do their own work at the exchange before they accept orders. You may find that other ISPs are accepting orders but that Sky currently don't plan to do the work - in which case you would need to move ISP to get fibre.
(newbie) Wed 20-May-15 17:52:38
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

The cabinet went live this morning, a few days after the others in the area. Order placed, should be on in a fortnight.
  Print Thread

Jump to