General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zeitgeist
(newbie) Sat 16-May-15 18:05:30
Print Post

Line Rental x 2?

[link to this post]

I am on an ancient contract, so please bear with my ignorance. There's been no point in upgrading broadband here until recently because of the long length of line to the exchange and a maximum speed of about 3Mb/s.

Now that FTTC is now available with a copper run of about 500m, it's sensible to upgrade.

The ancient broadband-only contract is £12.00 for 'up to' 8Mb/s with Orange (now EE of course) in addition to the (also ancient) BT contract which includes calls and line rental.

Most modern contracts stipulate broadband AND line rental, but its not clear to me whether it is payable in addition to the existing line rental payable to BT for the landline calls.

So: Am I going to be paying two sets of line rental charges effectively for the two services?
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 16-May-15 18:11:38
Print Post

Re: Line Rental x 2?

[re: zeitgeist] [link to this post]

Only one line rental payable.

Usually you take line rental and BB from the same supplier, but it can be separate. Separate is usually more expensive.

Check if your contract has a fixed length and if so a) has it expired and b) if not, has it a termination cost. wink

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - EE via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Plusnet, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet,
X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========

Edited by hk11 (Sat 16-May-15 18:13:47)

Standard User zeitgeist
(newbie) Sat 16-May-15 18:19:58
Print Post

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

Thanks very much for your answer. smile

Do you think that would still be the case, say, if any "bundled" calls, eg evening and weekend calls are included in the broadband contract, which suggests that other daytime calls remain with BT?

Sorry to be pedantic, I have this brain that only works in single chunks at a time!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 16-May-15 18:29:16
Print Post

Calls are related to line rental and not BB.

Previously - New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Plusnet, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet,
===========
Standard User zeitgeist
(newbie) Sat 16-May-15 18:31:05
Print Post

OK, thanks for your help!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 16-May-15 18:32:14
Print Post

Call plans and any other phone charges are always with whoever you have the line rental with.

If changing line/call supplier it is important to check all the things like possible charges for 1451/1571, caller display and so on. Quite often these can add significantly to the published rental cost. Also the setup and call charges for ones that aren't covered by whatever plan you take.

I've always kept my line/calls with BT and pay the slightly higher broadband price that may entail. However, there are now some very cheap line/call packages from several companies that allow you to have other-company broadband. I keep wondering if I should go for one, but somehow BT line/call rental give me a comfort feeling.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 16-May-15 18:34:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by hk11:
Calls are related to line rental and not BB.
That's true, but often aren't advertised as such. BT being a major case in point, where the bundle offered is broadband + call package, with the small print saying line rental with them required.

As I think is also the case with Sky and TalkTalk.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 16-May-15 18:35:32)

Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 16-May-15 18:37:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

You could always add VOIP to muddy the waters. smile

===========
Standard User zeitgeist
(newbie) Sat 16-May-15 18:39:57
Print Post

Yep

I have many online accounts with my Orange BB email address and will have to go through them all to change them to a independent web address before switching to a different provider. I may stick with EE for continuity's sake for the initial 18 month contract before considering switching again.
Standard User zeitgeist
(newbie) Sat 16-May-15 18:43:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
... Calls are related to line rental and not BB....
...That's true, but often aren't advertised as such. ....

That's the VERY reason for my OP!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to