General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 69bertie
(newbie) Sun 17-May-15 08:45:34
Print Post

Openreach and improved Superfast checker

[link to this post]

Maybe I've really lost the plot but how can any company (Openreach) say they have an improved Superfast BB checker and all it does is impart the same useless information as the one before.

Things are starting to move forward (I'd like to think so) with getting fibre to the village (ducts being cleared, even Onlincolnshire says a new cabinet is currently being built) so why is it so difficult to get an estimated installation date from Openreach. Currently, if I input my address or phone number on their site I get "Enabled area Your area is enabled for Superfast Fibre but your cabinet is not ready yet so you can't place an order today. It is in our plans to be upgraded and we update this info weekly, so please check back later." Yeah, right on!

You really would think that it was a top secret mission with the military involved. It certainly doesn't impress me as to Openreach's capabilities when they cannot even give an estimated date for installation. Presumably they do everything on an ad hoc basis. Just glad i don't use them for business if that really is the case.

Do I feel fobbed off? Certainly, because that is the way it comes across. And to think I'm paying for this via my taxes. All I'd like is a date please Openreach. Currently, the website checker is as much use as a wet ....!
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 17-May-15 09:59:27
Print Post

Re: Openreach and improved Superfast checker

[re: 69bertie] [link to this post]

And you obviously understand very little about the programme and projects behind implementing FTTC/FTTP services. The complexity, the need to change plans as either a task completed early or late because of unforeseen issues or staff availability.

Plus, they have reined back the information because whingers were complaining to the ASA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 17-May-15 13:51:38
Print Post

Since your update is almost certainly being provided for and paid for by your council and BDUK it is to these bodies that you need to address your complaint. BT isn't authorised to provide the information you require.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Sun 17-May-15 15:02:37
Print Post

sugfgest you start with your BDUK region wedsite for starters that will be the most uptopdate for any BDUk area
Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Sun 17-May-15 15:06:05
Print Post

assuming you are covered by the BDUK programme please note its not all funded by goverment as you as misinfofmed all public money is matched by operatir ubject to aid intensity rules and other such rlules indicate in this case openteach

Please also be aware that only those cabs that a considered good value of public money will be enabled as part of the BDUK programme
Standard User zom22
(member) Sun 17-May-15 15:10:49
Print Post

As I often say in similar circumstances

"would you like me to spend my time giving you endless updates on what I'm doing, what I've done and what I'm about to do or would you rather I spend my time actually doing the job instead?"
Standard User AAuser27
(member) Sun 17-May-15 15:39:53
Print Post

I was not aware we paid towards broadband rollout via our taxes..
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 17-May-15 15:55:54
Print Post

[re: AAuser27] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AAuser27:
I was not aware we paid towards broadband rollout via our taxes..
The Government, through Broadband Delivery UK (BDUK), initially set aside £530 million of public funding to help BDUK reach 90 percent of premises by 2016. Each local authority evaluated bidders (during the procurement stage) before awarding the contracts.

The Superfast Extension Programme (SEP) (which includes a new phase of procurement which is due to conclude early next year) is the next step in the Governmentís programme. SEP represents a further £250 million investment with an ambition to extend Superfast Broadband to 95 per cent of the UK by the end of 2017.
Link.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Sun 17-May-15 18:05:40
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
And you obviously understand very little about the programme and projects behind implementing FTTC/FTTP services. The complexity, the need to change plans as either a task completed early or late because of unforeseen issues or staff availability.

Plus, they have reined back the information because whingers were complaining to the ASA.

On May 25, 1961, President John F. Kennedy announced there would be a man on the moon by the end of the decade. That goal was achieved on July 20, 1969. The complexity of that task must have been huge and yet one giant leap happened on time; in fact six months earlier than thought.

By comparison getting FTTC/FFTP to customers by a suggested date must be a walk in the park. So the OP does have a point without being lectured about not understanding the trials and tribulations of large engineering projects.
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Sun 17-May-15 21:05:50
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
On May 25, 1961, President John F. Kennedy announced there would be a man on the moon by the end of the decade. That goal was achieved on July 20, 1969. The complexity of that task must have been huge and yet one giant leap happened on time; in fact six months earlier than thought.

By comparison getting FTTC/FFTP to customers by a suggested date must be a walk in the park. So the OP does have a point without being lectured about not understanding the trials and tribulations of large engineering projects.
True, I have been told to keep checking the Where and When Page by BTOR via email and BT over the phone and email and the following:
Itís where we publish the very latest fibre coverage information and we update it weekly.
So if this is true then they "could" add some extra info in there apart from just "Under Review", "Enabled Area" and so on, but add something like what the issues may be, where they are for that rollout, it doesn't need to have a completion date on it, just something to show stuff is going on and not those same default messages for a year.

So if its updated on a weekly basis then they could add some extra info instead of the default option in the list.

But having the current BTOR Where and when page is better than having nothing, even though it breaks a lot smile

Paul
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to