General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 20-May-15 12:05:42
Print Post

I can no longer get to www.bbc.co.uk

[link to this post]

It came up with a banner about the Home Page is changing, with the option to "Take me there" or "No thanks". I decided to take a look. Didn't like it, but can't get back to the original.

WARNING - DO NOT FOLLOW THE LINK ON THIS LINE. See why later in the post. It now always goes to http://m.bbc.co.uk/

Even viler than before.

15" laptop, Win 8.1, Chrome. I stopped using IE11 yesterday, as I suspect it may be crashing my system several times a day. Though that issue may be NetWorx which I dropped at the same time.

Just tried IE11 and that still gets the previous version, but I see the "Take me there" button link is to the above. So it isn't just letting you see what you think, it's setting a cookie frown.

Edit: If you scroll all the way down, near the bottom is a link to go back to the old site.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 20-May-15 12:21:16)

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-May-15 13:21:02
Print Post

Re: I can no longer get to www.bbc.co.uk

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

BBC item about these changes here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/entries/6ef9fa18...

Going by how they implemented the Responsive News site recently - choosing not to use the new design will only buy you a bit of time before they change things for all visitors smile

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-May-15 13:24:19
Print Post

As ever, I'm of no help at all but ....

I followed that link yesterday as well, and also didn't like the result. Stuck in BBC limbo .... if you find a cure, let me know.

Oh, and using Safari, so maybe not a browser related thing.

Just tried it on Chrome on the same machine, and still get to the 'old' site.

Edited by Zarjaz (Wed 20-May-15 13:26:09)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 20-May-15 13:28:26
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

it's setting a cookie frown.

Edit: If you scroll all the way down, near the bottom is a link to go back to the old site.
That clears the cookie. (Cookies are always browser-specific).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-May-15 13:31:58
Print Post

Aha, thank you. smile

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 20-May-15 13:38:46
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I recently clicked on the News link in the top menu. That page is still quite sensible. It would be better if that was the Home Page in the first place.

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-May-15 11:27:07
Print Post

I'm regularly on the BBC site but very rarely use the bbc.co.uk home page - all my bookmarks point to bbc.co.uk/news smile

Standard User cymru123
(newbie) Thu 21-May-15 11:56:39
Print Post

It's a responsive design site, which means that the site can adapt it's layout on the fly in accordance to the device's screen size.

This means that you don't need to maintain two or more parallel sites, one for Wide screens and one for mobile screens, and instead just need to maintain one site which fits all.
This will also save the BBC money.

The BBC News site has been using a responsive design for about a year now (I think).

More and more sites are being designed this way.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-May-15 12:34:41
Print Post

[re: cymru123] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cymru123:
The BBC News site has been using a responsive design for about a year now (I think).

Actually went live on March 23rd 2015 smile

Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Thu 21-May-15 12:43:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
it's setting a cookie frown.

That clears the cookie. (Cookies are always browser-specific).
Both of BBC's Site works fine for me in IE11

Paul
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to