General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-May-15 13:49:51
Print Post

Timico acquire Coms

[link to this post]

Independent business internet, hosting and communications service provider Timico has acquired the telecoms interests of Coms Plc, the Buckinghamshire-based provider of hosted unified communications, cloud and connectivity services.

In addition to the business assets, Timico will be taking on immediate responsibility for the customers contracted to Coms for their communications services.

http://techcitynews.com/2015/05/26/timico-acquires-t...

I was about to leave Coms for Xilo but cant now as Xilo not taking orders until June. Hoping to get out before Timico take over. Anyone heard much about them? Seems they have a decent reputation but know nothing about thier network - is it a reseller or what?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 26-May-15 14:15:36
Print Post

Re: Timico acquire Coms

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

They were (are?) a predominantly business ISP who bought Newnet a few years ago, I believe largely for the Newnet business customers. They steadily made the consumer side quite expensive. I don't think they were really interested in that.

Sounds a bit like Coms and their ADSL24 takeover, but more successful. At least the Newnet service didn't collapse.

You could ask in the Newnet forum here what anyone there thinks of them.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 26-May-15 14:16:11)

Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-May-15 14:28:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Cheers. Posted in the Newnet forum so feel free to close this one

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-May-15 14:34:50
Print Post

Re: Takeovers

On a more broad subject of takeovers, how long do these things normally take? Im hoping i can get a mac and sign up to Xilo (once they start taking orders again) before Timico takeover and shift customers. Just saves hassle of moving twice

Edited by bobble_bob (Tue 26-May-15 14:35:10)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 26-May-15 15:37:16
Print Post

Looks like it is already completed. The link you gave isn't much less than the Timico Press Release today.

No doubt you will soon get an email from them with more information. I doubt if you'll notice anything for a while.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-May-15 15:40:24
Print Post

Got an email from them after i asked about whats likely to change. They said they will shortly be moving customers over but will email with details once everything been finalise.

Seems the deal wont go through until the 31st, so hopefully Xilo will allow signup nexts Monday and i can leave asap
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 26-May-15 15:45:27
Print Post

You might have a problem for a few days if they actually migrate you to their own system/IP range rather than continuing to use the Coms network for a while.

That would require them placing relevant orders on the line, which would mean Xilo couldn't until those were completed.

Look at it another way! You've already had a quick response. How likely would that have been with Coms? tongue

Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-May-15 16:12:21
Print Post

True. 2 replies within a few hours laugh
Standard User Tacitus
(experienced) Tue 26-May-15 18:27:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
They were (are?) a predominantly business ISP who bought Newnet a few years ago, I believe largely for the Newnet business customers. They steadily made the consumer side quite expensive. I don't think they were really interested in that.
I think that's right. Their main area is unified comms, IP telephony and integration with mobile. Throw in hosting and cloud services and you've got a predominantly business ISP. Their Broadband network is simply the platform on which to hang other services, which is where the money is for the smaller ISP.

AFAICT, they're well managed and very good at what they do, but their prices start to make iDNet, AAISP and Zen look cheap.

Edited by Tacitus (Tue 26-May-15 18:27:56)

Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-May-15 18:31:27
Print Post

[re: Tacitus] [link to this post]

Not quite sure how they expect to keep Coms customers then. You buy an ISP, put the prices up alot then people will more than likely leave
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to