General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mittenkrust
(member) Fri 05-Jun-15 14:39:41
Print Post

Relatives problems with new connection

[link to this post]

Here is basic line stats, will get back with more when I find correct setting to change, supposed to be 12 meg connection and I know some still have a training period.

Interleaving:

On
ADSL mode:

ADSL2
ADSL setting:

VPI: 0

VCI: 38
ADSL line speed (kbps):

Up: 821

Down: 2105
Line attenuation (dB):

Up: 21.4

Down: 34.8
SN margin (dB):

Up: 11.8

Down: 11.

Edited by mittenkrust (Fri 05-Jun-15 14:41:02)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 05-Jun-15 15:17:12
Print Post

Re: Relatives problems with new connection

[re: mittenkrust] [link to this post]

What is your post for?

Apart from the fact that the relationship between the down and up attenuations is very unusual. Given the sync I suggest the down attenuation is far higher than 34.8dB.

The noise margins are highly suspect, but even allowing for the current 11dB on download the line isn't going above 5Mbps. Where did you get the 12Mbps figure from?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Jun-15 16:41:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Should get more than 5Mbps on 34 attenuation (assuming thats correct. Can it be reported incorrectly?).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 05-Jun-15 18:13:18
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Yes it can. Normally the upstream is about half the downstream. Though occasionally there are anomalies.

I'm just going on the balance of probabilities, and bearing in mind the strange fact of the high downstream SNRM on a "new" connection. There is something very odd, and I suspect we don't know the full story since it was connected. We need to know a lot more to account for the noise margin.

Plus knowing the ISP and router make and model might come in useful. I hope it isn't Sky!

What does this checker say for the number. Or the address if it is an LLU number.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
(member) Fri 05-Jun-15 21:18:17
Print Post

Its TalkTalk with their standard router the bt checker shows nothing for his number but the postcode checker says maximum 5.5

But he is currently getting 1.7 and a lot of drop outs some for about 15-30 minutes at a time

Oh and the property is strange theres 2 cable phone lines in properety that look almost new(he moved in recently) one in bedroom has had wires ripped out and the cable phone line in hallway is side by side with BT socket, I was there when it was installed and noticed the bt guy removing something from the cable connection.

Edited by mittenkrust (Fri 05-Jun-15 21:23:21)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 05-Jun-15 22:55:28
Print Post

Use the address option. The postcode one is unreliable, as a postcode can be supplied by up to three or four cabinets and it only reports the first in the database.

But that 5.5Mbps ties in with the sort of figure I suggested.

The fact that there are frequent lengthy dropouts strongly suggests either a line fault or a faulty router. I'd try a factory reset on the router just to make sure it isn't just that messed up before going any further.

(member) Sat 06-Jun-15 00:01:44
Print Post

Interestingly when I checked Samknows postcode checker it shows he can get FTTP and FTTC, I knew he could get fibre but not FTTP, he can also get virgin media too but just wanted a cheap connection and not pay a connection charge Here is what bt address checker shows

FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 69.4 20 20 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 60.7 20 12.2 -- Available

ADSL Max Up to 5.5 -- 4.5 to 8 Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available

Edited by mittenkrust (Sat 06-Jun-15 00:04:21)

Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Sat 06-Jun-15 00:08:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by mittenkrust:
Interestingly when I checked Samknows postcode checker it shows he can get FTTP and FTTC, I knew he could get fibre but not FTTP, he can also get virgin media too but just wanted a cheap connection and not pay a connection charge Here is what bt address checker shows

FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 69.4 20 20 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 60.7 20 12.2 -- Available

ADSL Max Up to 5.5 -- 4.5 to 8 Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
If its showing FTTC you cannot get FTTP.

Paul
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 06-Jun-15 00:24:55
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In perhaps a few 1000 cases you can get either, but would rather trust address check rather than a pure postcode one

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-Jun-15 00:27:07
Print Post

Talk Talk set target snr to 12db on new connections. Would explain the high snr
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to