General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Sat 06-Jun-15 13:41:12
Print Post

Retraction of G.INP :(

[link to this post]

So I read a few rumours that G.INP is going to be disabled on upstream for all lines now!

That's both Huawei and ECI cabinets!

I don't think this is very good and is a great example of our providers making a boo boo and passing the ramification's on too the service users...

Why is it that ISP's and Openreach haven't been held responsible for any issues that have been caused during this "boo boo" after all it was their engineers/contractors and departments that sent/installed the wrong EU Equipment in the first place.

Plusnet Unlimited 21CN 3700/768 @ 4.2Km > TP-Link TD-W8968v3
Plusnet Fibre Extra 65000/20000 @ 450m > HG612 > Asus RT-AC87U
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 06-Jun-15 15:49:51
Print Post

Re: Retraction of G.INP :(

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
So I read a few rumours that G.INP is going to be disabled on upstream for all lines now!
Meh. Very few people need it so it seems a reasonable solution to me.
Why is it that ISP's and Openreach haven't been held responsible for any issues that have been caused during this "boo boo" after all it was their engineers/contractors and departments that sent/installed the wrong EU Equipment in the first place.
Because they provide a service and by the standards of the industry they are doing a reasonable job which is all they are required to do. If you think you can roll-out FTTC (or indeed any other communications technology) across the UK and get it right for everyone first time then set up your own company and go into business.

Anyway upstream G.INP really isn't worth crying about. I think it's far better they concentrate their R&D efforts on the next gen upgrades than tweak a pretty minor feature of the current system.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sat 06-Jun-15 15:50:49)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 06-Jun-15 16:03:17
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
A lot more people need it than would otherwise have been the case due to the use of contractors .

Also it's a poor compromise because the largest customer - BT Consumer - supplied the wrong sort of Homehub - HH5A's - to customers on Huawei cabinets.

So, it is needed because of bad installs but no-one can have it because of the uncontrolled issue of free Homehubs.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 06-Jun-15 18:03:24
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
A lot more people need it than would otherwise have been the case due to the use of contractors
What's the contractor connection?

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sat 06-Jun-15 18:24:36)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 06-Jun-15 18:28:50
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Poor installs (and supplying ECI modems and selling the Huaweis on Ebay)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 06-Jun-15 20:58:06
Print Post

If you suspect an ebay aeller is selling stolen goods then am sure BT security would like to know

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 06-Jun-15 20:59:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I think the volume of Huawei HG612s for sale on Ebay over the last 4 years speaks for itself.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sat 06-Jun-15 21:10:22
Print Post

Handing out ECI modems to subscribers might well cause a contractor's van to become relatively top-heavy with HG612's.

However, that inventory doesn't suddenly get labelled as "spare", and free for a contractor to dispose of. He still has to do something fraudulent to be able to sell them.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sat 06-Jun-15 21:20:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
A lot more people need it than would otherwise have been the case due to the use of contractors .

Also it's a poor compromise because the largest customer - BT Consumer - supplied the wrong sort of Homehub - HH5A's - to customers on Huawei cabinets.

So, it is needed because of bad installs but no-one can have it because of the uncontrolled issue of free Homehubs.

I have to say that I disagree there.

Upstream problems have never been worse than downstream ones. DLM becomes involved considerably less on the upstream side.

And the *impact* of packet loss on upstream is felt even less: The main issue that BT wants to solve with G.INP (loss of packets that don't otherwise get retransmitted - particularly in video streaming) just doesn't happen upstream.

Don't get me totally wrong though ... a solution that kept G.INP bi-directional would be an improvement, as would deployment of capable hardware. It's just that turning G.INP off upstream isn't as terrible as you make it sound.

BTW. As far as I can see, the issue isn't as simple as hardware that doesn't support G.INP upstream. Some modems, using the same "limited" chipsets, have been "fixed" by firmware upgrade. If the issue remains long-term for some models, then something more subtle has gone wrong.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 06-Jun-15 21:59:48
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

I have plenty of experience of capped upstream speeds following ham fisted installers visiting my cabinet, so don't try and tell me it doesn't happen. G.INP managed to fix that for a brief couple of months.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to